Hook Spit Lone Star Kayak Series 2015 Event #4 Recap

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Hook Spit Lone Star Kayak Series 2015 Event #4 Recap

Post by Coachsmills »

More pics and active links are available at: http://tailtailsigns.com/hook-spit-lone ... 5-event-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sonny LSKS #4 2015 (1).jpg
For the first time since last spring, I actually considered putting on a jacket to start the morning. The temps were in the mid 60s with a cool breeze blowing through the air, which was a nice change from the heat we’ve had this summer. Johnathan Meadows and I were fishing the last event of the 2015 Lone Star Kayak Series on this morning and were patiently waiting for the clock to show 6 am so that we could begin our day.

We were the only two people at our launch, which in my opinion is always a small advantage on tournament day. We wouldn’t have to worry about dodging other anglers that were fishing the tournament or miss out on fishing certain areas because someone else arrived first. I’ve spent 99% of my kayak trips sitting in the seat of a Jackson Cuda 14, but on this particular morning I decided to go with the Cuda LT instead. The marsh we were fishing consists of several dozen small lakes that go on for as far as the eye can see. With the Cuda LT weighing in around 20lbs. lighter and a little over a foot shorter than my Cuda 14, I decided to go with the kayak that had the ability to make sharp turns without needing a lot of space.

We pushed off into the dark at 6 am and made the short paddle to the first lake we planned to fish. Johnathan started off throwing a topwater while I went with a popping cork and gulp. The plan was to throw different set ups to see what the fish were wanting and then both go with the lure that was producing more fish. It didn’t take long before I had my first bite on the cork which turned out to be a solid 26 ½” redfish. A few minutes later I had my second bite of the day, a chunky 25” red which gave me two fish on the stringer before the sun had a chance to peak over the horizon. Anyone that has ever fished a tournament knows how good I feels to have 12+ lbs. on the stringer within the first hour. It was obvious that it was going to be a popping cork kind of day with the higher than normal tides, so Johnathan put down the topwater and grab his rod with the cork on it. If you're in the market for a good popping cork rod that won’t break the bank, check out the Hook Spit Zephyr Elite. At 7′ 2″ you can make those long casts and pop a cork the way its meant to be popped in large part due to the extra fast tip. It’s a great popping cork rod for only $159.

It didn’t take long before we figured out the pattern for the day and both had fish two fish on the stringer. With a decent NE wind blowing through the marsh, we used it to our advantage by focusing on all points and small coves on the windblown shoreline. It seemed like every point held at least one fish, along with any small cove that was located on the SE shoreline. The reds would wait on the wind protected side of the points and ambush the bait as the current forced it by or they would focus on the bait that was unwillingly being pushed up against the shoreline by the wind.

At one point we thought we had doubled up on two solid reds, but come to find out, Johnathan had a 27 ¾” red while I had a two foot alligator. It didn’t take long for the gator to realize what was going on and make a mad dash for the protection of the tall grass on the shoreline. He hit the bank and never looked back, eventually slicing through my leader and letting me keep my cork.

Shortly after the gator broke me off I was able to sightcast a 30” red by standing up in the LT and letting the wind push me towards the tailing fish. I could tell this fish would be out of the slot, but who can resist sightcasting a 30” red in a foot of water. Johnathan was able to catch an oversized red a few hours later as it and a couple of other fish were barreling down the shoreline destroying any bait in their sight.
bigger.jpg
We ended the day each catching more 6 lb. reds than we could count, our two oversized fish, and a few larger ones that stayed in the slot and made the trip to the weighin. In the end, Johnathan took home 1st place out of 96 anglers with 15.56 lbs. while I finished 6th with 13.15 lbs. Congratulations goes out to Jason Blackwell who took home Angler of the year honors once again, giving him his third AOY trophy in as many years.

We had a great day on the water with a couple of nice stringers to end the tournament season. We took full advantage of the benefits that comes with fishing with a friend on tournament day, which I believe helped both us catch more fish than we would have alone
table.jpg
I’d like to give a huge thanks to Werner Paddles, Hook Spit Performance Rods, Buggs Fishing Lures, and Jackson Kayak. These companies provide me with quality products that have helped me become a better angler over the last several years. I am truly blessed with the opportunity to represent them and look forward to doing the same when the 2016 tournament season kicks off.

On a side note, the Lone Star Kayak Series will be back again next year, but the tournament owner/director will be a little different. Dustin Koreba has decided to step down and hand it over to Cameron Barghi and Justin Rich. Cameron and Justin already run the Saltwater Survival Series and have been a part of the LSKS team since it began 4 years ago. We can expect a new beer sponsor and a few new lures, but overall, the things that make this tournament so special will remain the same. Now we all have to fish against Dustin instead of accepting prizes from him. Dustin did an amazing job of starting up this series and getting it to where it is today.

Conditions:

Wind: 10 mph from the NE

Weather: Sunny skies with temps between 65 and 75 degrees

Tides: Outgoing

Bottom: Mud with occasional patches of grass

Depth: 1-2 feet deep in most areas

Lures:

Bomber Paradise Popper with a Gulp Pogy or Mantis Shrimp on a 1/16 oz. jighead

TTF Killer Flats Minnow on a 1/8 oz. jighead

Rod and Reel:

Popping Cork setup – Daiwa Ballistic EX 2500 on a 7′ 2″ Hook Spit Zephyr Elite

Soft Plastic setup – Shimano Citica on a 6′ 10″ Hook Spit T-N-T

Kayak: Jackson Cuda LT

Paddle: 250 cm Werner Cyrpus: Hooked
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Hook Spit Lone Star Kayak Series 2015 Event #4 Recap

Post by surfpunk »

Great write up. It really does help fishing with a buddy. The learning curve is shortened for sure. Im glad we got to get out there, catch good fish and enjoy a really nice day on the water. Strong finish man!
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

Always a good read.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report, Coach. Did y'all run into any other fish besides reds and a gator?
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

karstopo wrote:Nice report, Coach. Did y'all run into any other fish besides reds and a gator?
I know this will come as a shock. But Surfpunk caught a few flounder. I swear those things just jump in his kayak. That was it though. Lots of reds, 2 flounder, and a gator.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

A friend and I used the same technique to take home a first(him) and a fourth in a tourney last spring. It seemed strange to cooperate when we were supposed to be competing but it helped us zero in on a winning strategy. Good job guys!
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

redneckyakclub01 wrote:It seemed strange to cooperate when we were supposed to be competing but it helped us zero in on a winning strategy. Good job guys!
Looking back now, I probably should have told Johnathan that we would launch at Christmas Bay. I didn't know he was going to whoop me the way he did though. :lol: