Causeway Bridge fishing

product19

Causeway Bridge fishing

Post by product19 »

I hadn't been fishing for almost 6 weeks after wrecking my truck. Bought a new one so finally got a chance to get back on the water.

Went to the Causeway Bridge and put in at Galveston Bait and Tackle. Got on the water a little after midnight and fished till about 5AM. Wind started off light but picked up to about 13-15 mph and stayed steady the whole night. Chopped up the water a little bit but not seriously bad. Current was pretty fast which I find is fairly typical for the causeway bridge. Started with tandem rigged soft plastics and my trusty Yo-zuri 3D minnow but quickly got bored of them so I switched to topwater with an orange Skitterwalk. Ended up with a limit--about half on the topwater and the other subsurface lures.

About an hour into the trip I noticed one of the lights was exploding every several seconds with shad. I pedaled over and started throwing but no takers which surprised me. Then I saw caudal fins and dorsal fins cutting through the water---sharks! Put up the rods since I didn't want to mess with hooking one of them and instead pedaled over to try and catch some video on my cell. I think there were three of them. I estimate they were probably 3-4 ft long. Got a nice pic of a dorsal fin cutting through the water under one of the lights. They were at it all night as there were still shad explosions when I left.

All in all a good trip and finally scratched the bug.
Attachments
07JUL15 shark image.PNG
07JUL15.JPG
Papa33

Re: Causeway Bridge fishing

Post by Papa33 »

Nice report!! I have been wanting to try out the causeway for a while now but can't ever make it out at night. I'm assuming you didn't get hung at all because you were fishing closer to the surface?
Erock

Re: Causeway Bridge fishing

Post by Erock »

Looks like a good night stalk! Every time I plan on fishing the lights lately something comes up, last time I went I had waders on!