Christmas Bay (Arcadia Reef) 7-3-15

Overkill

Christmas Bay (Arcadia Reef) 7-3-15

Post by Overkill »

My wife and I took the new Wilderness ATAK 140's out finally. We headed out from Houston at about 4:45am, arrived at 6:30ish. Conditions were very nice. There was a very slight wind out of the S-SW 2mph, and the tide seemed to be coming in. We put in and immediately started casting. Melissa was using a top water and I was using a pink and clear minnow. 1 bite between the 2 of us. LOTS and LOTS of bait in the water. We headed over to Arcadia reef and switched baits. Melissa was using a DOA shrimp under a popping cork, and I was alternating between a silver spoon, red cocohoe minnow, and a DOA shrimp under popping cork. After a while, melissa hooked into a pretty big Channel Mullet, but it spit the hook as she got it to the boat. We anchored on the south side of the reef and I caught 2 rat reds with a silver spoon while melissa took a nap. It wasn't exactly "AMAZING" fishing, but at least I got to catch something in my new kayak. We are looking forward to going back soon! Maybe upper laguna madre next time...
Attachments
Chrismas Bay 7-3-15.jpg
Overkill

Re: Christmas Bay (Arcadia Reef) 7-3-15

Post by Overkill »

forgot to mention how the kayak performed.

By comparison: The ATAK 140 is AMAZING!!! In the Malibu X-factor, there was very little leg room (which is why I sold it)... but the ATAK has room to spare. VERY comfortable. It is easier to get in and out of, and the AirMax Pro seat is uber comfy! The only downfall of the ATAK is the tracking. When we headed in... winds had picked up to 8-10mph. Wind + Current + ATAK = Paddling to one side. In the X-factor... the tracking is superior, but that is the only area of weakness in the ATAK.
Yakisthenewblack

Re: Christmas Bay (Arcadia Reef) 7-3-15

Post by Yakisthenewblack »

Congrats on the new yak. I'm looking into an ATAK myself. From everything I've read - they look like an awesome new product from Wildy.