Crabs, Crawlers, and Marsh Witches 7-2

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Crabs, Crawlers, and Marsh Witches 7-2

Post by Cuervo Jones »

"So if you're tired of the same old story, turn some pages. I will be here when you are ready to roll with the changes." -REO Speedwagon

The moon was high and the tide was low as I returned to the marsh after a lost weekend of fevers and aches. Summer flu, I curse your eyes. Bait was everywhere and an owl called from a nearby tree as I launched in the darkness. I recognized the tone of his ominous hoot and knew immediately I was in for a tough day of many tests and unforeseen hardships. But in the spirit of our forefathers who fought bravely and with manly pony tails for freedom from oppression, I cinched up my wading booties and paddled into the dark, foreboding marsh to seek for tails and glory. Almost immediately, I spotted crawlers on the mud banks. My nemesis! Singles and pairs and all of them spooky and uninterested in soft plastics or flies. For those who haven't seen them in all their elusive mystery, I took this photo:

The owl's warning of doom reverberated in my mind as I launched a cast with my topwater and heard the line snap. I watched it sail into the barely lit sky and made note of where it landed. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it and retie with a new knot, and show it to some fish, who blew up at it, but refused to eat. Switching to plastic, and the first cast, POW. Line snapped, sending it sailing into the marsh where it will forever be entombed. Rerig and look for more fish. Many hours passed as I stalked creepy crawlers to no avail. They avoided my hooks like a hippy avoids soap, frantically and loudly. About this time, I realized my high tech measuring board had slid off the kayak and into the dismal muck of the marsh. Disappointed, but not defeated, I penetrated deeper into the squishy, sloppy underbelly of the marsh, determined to bring a Redfish to hand. The crabs had other plans.

It was all making sense. The owl's mournful warning, the broken lines, unhappy fish, lost board...Marsh Witches!

Had to be. No other explanation.
Tired, hot, and fishless, I began to think of heading home. Some days just aren't meant to be. Could this really be it? Don't you, the readers and members of TKF, expect and deserve more from your fellow anglers? Of course you do! And with this fire ignited in my ganglia, I plowed ahead to do what I came here to do. Marsh witches be damned. Striking out for a deeper gut, I was making this my final attack. Paddling with the fierce determination, I came around a bend in the channel and was face to face with a huge push of redfish heading right for me. One cast, one eat, one sigh of relief.

Deeper channels were immune to the workings of the witches and happy fish were here in abundance. A few minutes later, and another push of reds came towards me. Again I let fly the plastic and again I brought honor to the H&H Cocahoe (just one of many companies who do not sponsor me, for I am sponsorless and therefore betrothed to no man or corporation).

Touched by my assurance of a speedy and safe release, the fish wiggled his little finger in appreciation.

We parted ways and I began the grueling paddle back to the beginning. Hopefully you'll avoid the Marsh Witches and catch some nice fish over the holiday too.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Crabs, Crawlers, and Marsh Witches 7-2

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Very entertaining as always. Glad all your work paid off in the end. The fury of the marsh witch was no match for your determination.
crusher

Post by crusher »

The witch has the only measuring board I ever paid for also! Nothing compared to yours, but still.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Nearly the perfect fishing story. Loch Ness Monster, Marsh Witches and Red Fish. Did you happen to see any Big Foot foot prints on the way in or out.

Whatever it takes to keep the mind busy while hunting the elusive prey.................................Nice work.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

No BigFoot tracks, but I did see a bunch of spoonbills, a group of wood storks (cool!), night herons, egrets, ibis, curlews, willets, terns, and gulls galore. A very birdilicious day, though none were pointing the way to feeding feeshes.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Another creative read Mr. Cuervo! :D
Soggy Bottom Boy

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

I gonna read this story to my wife and kids so they can know why I haven't caught any fish this summer. Them marsh witches are to blame, thanks Cuervo Jones, mystery solved!
Legocrusader
Location: Hobie Fishing Team & Fishing Tackle Unlimited Pro Staff

Post by Legocrusader »

I love your posts. You have skills with the pen. Entertained me once again.

Legocrusader,
http://www.hobie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.Yak-gear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://powerpole.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://linecutterz.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.operationfish.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/legocrusader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Nice read! Actually, I wouldn't mind paddling up to a marsh witch that looked like that!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I am glad you guys enjoy my reports. The Marsh Witches are pretty, so I can't stay angry at them. I spent literally tens of minutes today constructing a new and improved measuring board for next time. Hopefully the fish will recognize the extent of my efforts and volunteer to try it out.