6/27- Galveston Bay

rgrayson

6/27- Galveston Bay

Post by rgrayson »

Friday evening, after a long week of teaching summer school students and seeing that there wasn't going to be a lot of tide movement in the morning, I would hold off on fishing and get some rest. I woke up Saturday morning at 3:50 having a dream of someone telling me to go fish, slack tide or not. So I did. It was destiny. Normally when I go on an impromptu trip, I end up forgetting something (which was sunglasses but the gas station provided a cheap $15 pair). I went to a place on west Galveston Island because there is a boat ramp I wanted to try launching from so I could head west from there but turns out it is a private launch. I launched from Sea Isle instead and there was bait and grass all over. I went out and got a trout quickly on a shrimp (17 inches). I was alternating between a pink she-dog and the live shrimp (slump buster). Something little kept stealing my shrimp as soon as it hit the water. I tried to move out deeper but the wind picked up and made it too rough for me to feel like I could safely fish. Some of the wake out there was breaking. I worked the shallower (and calmer) area dragging my anchor at high speed with the wind without a bite (except the small fish stealing my shrimp). That was about it for the day. Not a great trip, but it was still fun.