Fayette County Lake 6/20

pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Fayette County Lake 6/20

Post by pdt818 »

Hit Fayette with less than desirable conditions. Faced a stout 15mph south wind most of the morning that transcended into a 20 mph wind later in the afternoon. The fish didn't give 2 licks about that weather though. Started the morning working Strike King 1.5's in 2-4 foot of water and banged out a couple of stout fish early. By 8:30 I moved out to 8-10 feet, knowing it was just a matter of time before the fish showed up. Like clock work, at 9 the fish start showing up on my finder and I started to whack them all over again. These were healthy fish too, with none being caught that day under 4lbs. About 11:30 I moved out to the mouth of the creeks in main lake coves and found them stacked up again. Largest came on a Strike King 8.0 square bill and tipped the scales a hair under 8lbs. The key to the bite lately that I've found is finding the larger pods of bait in creek channels where the water drops off quickly. Look for flicking shad on top of the water too. Those fish are sitting in ambush mode on the drop offs, waiting for the shad to migrate over the creek. Most of my fish were caught on H2O Express medium diving square bills that go 5-8 foot. I have a short video posted on the TKF facebook page. I'll try to post it here later.

Conditions: Overcast w/ 15-20 mph south winds
Water Temp: 88 degrees
Water Depth: 2-18 ft
Baits: H20 Express square bills, Strike King 1.5 square bills and Strike King 8.0s
Retrieve: Fast
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fayette County Lake 6/20

Post by Coachsmills »

Good info in that report. I'm at work right now and tried to watch the video earlier but Facebook is blocked here and this building kills my cell signal. I'll have to watch it later at home.
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Love that lake. Nastier the weather, better the fishing.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

My step dad and I hit Fayette Saturday morning too. I didn't have any bites, and he missed a good one. Mostly felt like I was peeing in the wind; It wasn't a total loss though. I got to spend some quality time with him ahead of Fathers Day AND I was able to break in a new depth finder.

Great post pdt. It was loaded with helpful tidbits.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by pdt818 »

Thanks guys. It's been fun getting out there recently and putting the puzzle together. I will frank, I totally just stumbled onto this pattern and ran with it. Will be off that lake for several week coming up though. This coming weekend we are going to Pompano Beach, FL for the Extreme Kayak Fishing Summer Slam Series tournament. Time to get back to my roots, offshore fishing :twisted:
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Where have you been hiding big PAPPA? Grew up fishing Fayette back in the day. Fished a lot of tournaments when I was a youngster! Awesome lake especially in February. My largest catch was 1991 9LB Bass.
Attachments
9 LB Bass 1991.jpg
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by pdt818 »

Hey Bill, been busy with the little guy a lot lately. But it's a good thing. I still get to go fishing quite a bit but I just don't post reports/BS on here as much as I used to. Good to hear from you and hope all is well. More than welcome to join on a trip if you ever want to. My fishin days are on a countdown to stop when September hits. Then it is full on duck hunting.
MikeBridges

Post by MikeBridges »

pdt818 wrote:Thanks guys. It's been fun getting out there recently and putting the puzzle together. I will frank, I totally just stumbled onto this pattern and ran with it. Will be off that lake for several week coming up though. This coming weekend we are going to Pompano Beach, FL for the Extreme Kayak Fishing Summer Slam Series tournament. Time to get back to my roots, offshore fishing :twisted:
Hey, I recently bought a unit in the new Sabbia Beach Condos building and I will be moving out there in a couple of years with the missus. I was researching beach fishing in the area and this thread came up. So, did you go ahead with the trip? If so, then could you please tell me a bit more about the event? How is the fishing community there? I am very much looking forward to try some offshore fishing as well, maybe some surf action.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by pdt818 »

MikeBridges wrote:Hey, I recently bought a unit in the new Sabbia Beach Condos building and I will be moving out there in a couple of years with the missus. I was researching beach fishing in the area and this thread came up. So, did you go ahead with the trip? If so, then could you please tell me a bit more about the event? How is the fishing community there? I am very much looking forward to try some offshore fishing as well, maybe some surf action.
Hi Mike,

We did go through with the trip, and it was a blast. The fishing community over there is a good one with a lot of people willing to teach/give advice. Google Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament and you can get all the info you desire from their website. Lots of public info on wrecks/reefs to try to fish. It is definitely a fishery you do not want to fish alone in however. Heavy currents can send you miles away from your launch point in literally no time at all. We had guys drift over 12 miles from the launch location due to a bitterly fast north current. Neither paddle, peddle or sail will save you from those conditions. There is so much more one can say about the area and event than I can type. Hit those guys up on Facebook too.