Christmas Bay 6-9-15

SteelRinger

Christmas Bay 6-9-15

Post by SteelRinger »

In a word: SLOW!

I got on the water a little later than I wanted to (8am) but I knew that the tide would be coming in and creating a bit of current, so I wasn't worried.

Unfortunately, I didn't take the wind into account as it was countering the current, so after the initial tidal surge, it slowed down a lot.

I fished along the south shore and down Churchill Bayou. I hooked up with a few trout but lost all but one at the boat. Most of my strikes were short as well.

I also managed a 13.5" flounder (my first flounder, BTW) and had a few more flounder bites but I haven't figured out the trout vs. flounder bites so I didn't hook up with them.

Still a good day on the water, but fighting the wind back in wasn't fun at all.

The bait of the day was a 3" swimming mullet GULP in white on a 1/8 oz chartreuse jig head.
crusher

Re: Christmas Bay 6-9-15

Post by crusher »

Nice little report.
How was the water clarity?
I haven't figured out how to detect then set the hook properly for a flounder myself.
SteelRinger

Post by SteelRinger »

The water was pretty clean and green except where it was shallow in the wind (which was most of the bay). The waves had the mud stirred up pretty good so it was a bit brown there.

The trout and flounder were hanging out right where the brown and green water met (imagine that :D ).
JesseCJC

Post by JesseCJC »

I was there yesterday as well. I launched around 0500 and came back with 3 trout and 2 flounder. Several throw backs of flounder right at 14 and trout just short of 15. All caught on chickenboy bubba cluckers in plum/chartreuse. In the morning the water was green if you were in 4ft plus of water but dirty brown in the shallows, which was darn near everywhere as the water was so low. One the winds came in around 1130-1200 it was all dirty brown. That paddle back SUCKED for me.

For flounder they will hit and sit. It will feel like you are snagged and what I will do when i feel that is count to 5, to give them time to eat the lure, and slowly lift the rod tip. I you feel resistance the flounder is on and set the hell out of the hook. Earlier in the week the trout were hitting like the flounder and I gut hooked a few trout doing this so be mindful. Lucky for me they were within limits though.