Surfside report Sunday 6/7

Papa33

Surfside report Sunday 6/7

Post by Papa33 »

So I was reading one of the BTB post earlier this week about how some people try and BTB but don't go all the way out to the rigs. So I started to think, saw the weather for the weekend and made up my mind to try it out. Went out with my cousin. We were on the water by 6:30 and bait was being busted all around us. I was using a gold spoon but didn't get any takers. We started out fishing the surf for specs when we saw what look like to be Smacks crashing bait in the surface about 30 yards out from us. We quickly paddled and I casted my rattle trap past the commotion and ended up landing a 17 in smack (sorry no pics of the smack). After that I had set out a croaker head on the bottom to see if I could get a visit from Mr. Red. About an hour later my pole starts singing my favorite tune. Faught what I thought to be a bull red for about 20 mins. Needles to say I was very disappointed when I saw the yellow tail of a jack creek below the surface. After that the action died down for about an hour and a half. At this point we were about 200 yards from the shore. All of a sudden we see birds working and more fish busting bait on the surface. I put my rod down and paddle as fast as I can to get to this frenzy that's about 50 yards away. Was huffing and puffing but I finally made it to the frenzy. Throw my rattle trap out a few cast at what I thought was more Smacks when I feel my lure get picked up. Instantly knew it was not a smack. Was using an Abu Garcia 5500 with 50lb braid and could not get this thing to come up to see what it was. After a 45 min fight I finally landed my first kingfish on my first semi BTB trip. Needles to say I am HOOKED!!! Can't wait to try the kingfish steaks. Here they are delicious!
Attachments
image.jpg
First kingfish I've ever caught
First kingfish I've ever caught
I'm hooked on BTB fishing!
I'm hooked on BTB fishing!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Surfside report Sunday 6/7

Post by karstopo »

That's cool. I was out at Surfside and saw a lot of kayaks offshore. There was bait getting smoked all over offshore.
GT kayaker

Post by GT kayaker »

Awesome first trip. I am planning to do my first trip like that tomorrow out of McFadden.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Good report, thanks.

I am a big fan of steaking out the tail section of kings for the grill. Steak 'em up to the start of the ribcage. Grill it fresh that night or the day after.

For the thick "loins" above the rib cage, I trim off all dark red and freeze. Sometime later when the weather is blown out, thaw, brine briefly, and cold smoke over pecan or whaver. Makes an excellent dip or just eat straight.

IMO "balling" them out is wasteful and a poor excuse for not filleting them out and trimming off the bloodline.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Yea it was a different style of fishing. Lot of fun though but I def need to upgrade my gear. I got spooled on my light set up and lost two rattle traps and a spoon that I will need to replace. As far as cooking it I will def take the advice cause I don't have the slightest Idea of how to cook it. Thanks for the input
waterrat

Post by waterrat »

big fish on small gear... have to love it & congrats on your first king from the yak :clap:
Angler Runk

Post by Angler Runk »

Way to go on the King. How did your moken 12.5 hold up offshore, I have a moken 14, but only used it inshore, but I am very interested in breaking through the surf with it.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

It's definitely not going to win me any races but it did the job lol. Launched from the beach and water was extremely calm. Little more sketchy getting back in but managed to get back without flipping. Overall I was pretty satisfied with it. You should be better of since I think you're is a little more narrow