6/5 Epic SS BTB 22 Kings, 3 Jacks, 4 Sharks...

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

6/5 Epic SS BTB 22 Kings, 3 Jacks, 4 Sharks...

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Yesterday took a "me day" from work and the family to go with Nhan on my first BTB trip of the year. Started early by 5am and prepared my things to head out to SS and be there by 7am. Nhan had a bad night and could not sleep so was meeting me later. On my way to SS I could have probably counted over 200 people wading the shoreline. Never seen anything like it before. At the SS area it was also packed with people heading out offshore. PB's were thick all day.

Went to grab some ribbon fish bait and a bag of ice. By 9am we were launching from the Coast Guard boat ramp.

The day was sunny, hot at 85-90, icecream water with less than 1/2 ft swells, north winds in the morning less than 4 mph and south winds of less than 8 mph in the afternoon. The water was dirty until the second buoy.

I was almost at the first buoy and had the first run of the day. The drag was peeling heavy and I was going for a ride. In less than five minutes my line slip the wire. Had that happen also to my second run and was able to correct my problem after consulting with Nhan on the knot to use.

Between the second buoy and hitting the oil rig Nhan and myself caught 22 kings, 3 jack, 4 baby sharks, and the one that made Nhan mad was losing a cobia that snap his wire. We literally drop a ribbon fish on the water and in 10-15 minutes would hook a fish. The bite was so epic that we were even afraid to drop ribbon fish on the water at one point in order to able to reach the oil rig.

The bite never died, but we either were out of wire rigs or ribbon fish.

I reached the boat ramp by 5:30 and Nhan kept messing around to grab that cobia. Bad thing that it snap his wire. Would have been even more epic if he was able to land it.

Would had more video if it was not that I forgot to charge the gopro and the battery was at 40%, but here is a sample of what we had all day long... This video doesn't do justice to the gopro. I'm messing for the first time with the gopro movie software and I selected YouTube, which lowered the quality. I'm exporting again to 1080p...

1080p version

Last edited by mpg2yahoo on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhantech

Re: 6/5 Epic SS BTB

Post by nhantech »

Post it under bib section
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: 6/5 Epic SS BTB

Post by Mythman »

An epic trip, indeed................congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: 6/5 Epic SS BTB 22 Kings, 3 Jacks, 4 Sharks...

Post by Crazy Yak »

There are always the good days to look forward to once again! This report is making me anxious for the next trip. Be careful putting your feet in the water when unhooking a fish. I've had Sharks take Kingfish while at the kayak and leave nothing but the head, you wouldn't want a Shark to confuse a leg for a fish.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Crazy Yak wrote:There are always the good days to look forward to once again! This report is making me anxious for the next trip. Be careful putting your feet in the water when unhooking a fish. I've had Sharks take Kingfish while at the kayak and leave nothing but the head, you wouldn't want a Shark to confuse a leg for a fish.
Told Nhan to put his legs up cuz that king was bleeding profusely. With that chocolate water he would not see the shark coming.

That's something I don't do offshore, in the marsh I do to keep position, but is not something I like to do.

There are too many videos of sharp tooth thieves floating around for me to risk it. Especially when you are 13 miles out and fully dependent on good legs.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Definitely there are thieves in the water at Surf Side. These are from yesterday.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433689227.475911.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433689215.641810.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433689202.575844.jpg