Salt in my blood.

surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Salt in my blood.

Post by surfpunk »

Launched into the bay at daybreak with my buddy Don. We had intentions of covering a bunch of water (if need be) in search of trout. Don rides a PA so I had my work cut out for me. My Tarpon 160 didn't let me down. The glide of this kayak is unbelievable.

Don and I started the day drifting a cove with skitterwalks and managed some nice slot reds after a bunch of blowups. We left the cove to move along shorelines looking for nervous bait; picking up a few trout along the way.

The wind died so I switched to a super spook junior with single hooks and this resulted in blowups turning into hookups (I picked up a few more trout and six more slot reds on this lure). The hookup ratio with single hooks on a super spook junior is outstanding. I used the Gamakatsu live bait hook with ring (the weight of these hooks is better suited for a top water as compared to the Owner in-line singles); the Owners are perfect for my wake-baits, and subsurface twitch baits. A 1/0 on the back and a 2/0 on the front for the spook junior is weighted just right.

Around noon I moved out to deeper water chasing bait being busted. I managed a few more trout with the Queen H&H Opening Night Cocahoe Minnow on a 1/8 oz jig head.Two casts after I landed a trout my lure got a tap, I thought for sure it was another trout, so I reacted and set the hook right away. Well I knew immediately this was not a trout. It was the largest flounder I've ever seen. I could clearly see it in the gin clear water, and knew I did not get a proper "flounder hook-set". This doormat stripped line like an upper slot red. I tried to ease the doormat through the water column with out disturbing it too much. I just wanted to "glide it into the net", "just gliiiideeee it into the net". Don peddled over and she let go.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by surfpunk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Salt in my blood.

Post by surfpunk »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by surfpunk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flippin' Crazee

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

Looks like you found "my" flounder that i lost out of the next week before last :) I have went back to that area 3 times just focusing on catching that giant flounder and have yet to catch it. If i ever get her i am going to take a pic and set her free.

Nice looking fish you have been on lately, great job!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

nice report - thanks for the specs on lures used - very helpful for those of us who rarely get out in the water.
Erock

Post by Erock »

Way ta go Bro!
blzn04

Post by blzn04 »

Flippin' Crazee wrote:Looks like you found "my" flounder that i lost out of the next week before last :) I have went back to that area 3 times just focusing on catching that giant flounder and have yet to catch it. If i ever get her i am going to take a pic and set her free.

Im all for CPR, but you ought to take a look at the STAR tournament standings. If that flounder would put you in the lead I would recommend entering it... and then having it enter your stomach. One of my friends husbands won a boat with the biggest flounder about 4 years ago.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

blzn04 wrote:
Flippin' Crazee wrote:Looks like you found "my" flounder that i lost out of the next week before last :) I have went back to that area 3 times just focusing on catching that giant flounder and have yet to catch it. If i ever get her i am going to take a pic and set her free.

Im all for CPR, but you ought to take a look at the STAR tournament standings. If that flounder would put you in the lead I would recommend entering it... and then having it enter your stomach. One of my friends husbands won a boat with the biggest flounder about 4 years ago.
I signed up for the tournament. Last year I did not and I caught a flounder that would have won me a boat. I have learned my lesson :cry:
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Outstanding! Looks like you got the full moon working for you. Great report.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Courious about your logic in the switch Surfpunk. I noticed you mentioned that y'all were drifitng throwing a skitterwalk, then as the wind died you made the decision to switch to the super spook jr.

What is the big difference in these baits that resulted in you making that switch? They are both hard bait topwaters that you walk the dog with, right?
gdavis

Post by gdavis »

Mddauby wrote:Courious about your logic in the switch Surfpunk. I noticed you mentioned that y'all were drifitng throwing a skitterwalk, then as the wind died you made the decision to switch to the super spook jr.

What is the big difference in these baits that resulted in you making that switch? They are both hard bait topwaters that you walk the dog with, right?
different sizes and sounds from each bait
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Mddauby wrote:Courious about your logic in the switch Surfpunk. I noticed you mentioned that y'all were drifitng throwing a skitterwalk, then as the wind died you made the decision to switch to the super spook jr.

You are correct. They are both floating "walk the dog" style lures. The difference is the size and rattle. The full sized skittlerwalk is larger and has a louder rattle than the super spook junior. In windy conditions I will normally use a she dog (very loud rattle), in moderate wind/chop I like a skittlerwalk, in light wind/mild chop I use a super spook junior.

For me these lure choices work best in those conditions.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Duly noted. Thanks y'all
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Well done surfpunk! Good read and nice pics!