Marsh reds by day. Flounder by night.

surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Marsh reds by day. Flounder by night.

Post by surfpunk »

I met a buddy at a new to me launch locale to take a swing at some schooling reds. I get a kick out of exploring new marsh. We paddled into the area around 4pm and were greeted by seagulls dipping over shrimp being pushed by reds and some small trout. Our first few casts were met by quick hookups. The water was extremely high so the fish were spread out over a large area. The best tactic was to chase birds. Unfortunately I killed a bunch of daylight on the phone dealing with some family issues. But we still managed to get a few reds to bite before we headed back in. Soft plastics under the birds was the key. Our topwaters didn't get any attention.

After I packed up I headed to the bay to meet a buddy to investigate some lights. I hadn't fished lights in over a year. We paddled through the canals and casted ghost cocahoes on 1/8 oz H&H screw lock jig heads. Picked up a few rat reds and dink trout that were tearing up the button shad. We made our way to a spot we target flounder by day. We got into position so that we could both cast our lures alongside the pilings. The small trout were thick, so my buddy switched to a 4" H&H Usual Suspects Soldier Shad and began putting a hurt on some very large flounder. Once I tied one on I joined the party. The closer you casted to the pilings the better. Those flounder were stacked in a 15' by 15' radius. While the tide was moving we filled our stringers with solid flounder. I will definitely be revisiting this pattern again shortly.
Attachments
Jared with a marsh toad.
Jared with a marsh toad.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Erock

Re: Marsh reds by day. Flounder by night.

Post by Erock »

Maybe you should change your handle to Flounder Nuts! Man I thought I was gonna be able to fish Friday and Saturday but ended up just taking the family to beach Friday. Sorry I didn't hollar atchya.....No pre fish for Erock :(
Erock

Post by Erock »

Maybe you should change your handle to Flounder Nuts! Man I thought I was gonna be able to fish Friday and Saturday but ended up just taking the family to beach Friday. Sorry I didn't hollar atchya.....No pre fish for Erock :(
nhantech

Post by nhantech »

Nice catches as always. You trying to move in on my territory night fishing? Lol I almost went but was too beat up from a rough day btb.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Nice flounders Johnathon