5/7 Copano Night Fishing

cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

5/7 Copano Night Fishing

Post by cudagreg »

First time night fishing since I have made Rockport my main home and Houston my weekend retreat.

Put out at the Aransas Pathways kayak launch at rattlesnake point and we planned on heading into salt lake but never made it. NO ONE had their lights on!!! So instead we just stayed and fished the first pier close to the launch and the one house next to it. All totalled there were 4 lights we could fish. Lucky for us they were stacked with trout.

On my second cast I had a first with the tandem shad rig I was throwing. I thought I hooked a red since it was pulling so hard and I didn't feel any shaking. But it happened to be a 19" trout and another 17" spec. Both were fat. I had another double later in the night with two dinks.

It was a great night all around. Weather was pleasant and wind was down. All together between me and my buddy we snagged 40+ paper mouths all caught on tkf tandem rigs. I'd say 10 were keepers most were borderline so they will be good eating come late summer. Phones were left in car so no photos (sorry). All fished were released since I didn't bring the fish bag and there were so many porpoise around I wasn't going to get out the stringer.
Mddauby

Re: 5/7 Copano Night Fishing

Post by Mddauby »

For what it's worth, my Grandpa lives on Salt Lake opposite of Copano Bay. He was telling me that it has been pretty damn slow in there, and there has been almost zero bait moving through. Maybe why all the lights were off in the lake.

Is there a public launch on Rattlesnake Point? I was looking at it on google maps the other day, and noticed the red fish lodge. I was concerned that might be private. But if we could launch our yaks there, that would be awesome.
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

Mddauby wrote:For what it's worth, my Grandpa lives on Salt Lake opposite of Copano Bay. He was telling me that it has been pretty damn slow in there, and there has been almost zero bait moving through. Maybe why all the lights were off in the lake.

Is there a public launch on Rattlesnake Point? I was looking at it on google maps the other day, and noticed the red fish lodge. I was concerned that might be private. But if we could launch our yaks there, that would be awesome.
There is a yak launching site at the end of Rattlesnake point just before it becomes the private lodge. Ive launched there before and its not bad at all.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

wizard7889 wrote:
Mddauby wrote:For what it's worth, my Grandpa lives on Salt Lake opposite of Copano Bay. He was telling me that it has been pretty damn slow in there, and there has been almost zero bait moving through. Maybe why all the lights were off in the lake.

There is a yak launching site at the end of Rattlesnake point just before it becomes the private lodge. Ive launched there before and its not bad at all.
Thanks Wizard. I'll have to give that a shot. Would really cut down on my paddle out of salt lake.. by a LOT
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

Mddauby it's a very easy paddle and nice easy launch.

As to no bait being in salt lake it probably has to do with no lights being on. Lights attract bait at night, which brings the fish. I'm sure come June it will be better once more people are down renting and whatnot during summer they will all have the lights on.

Let me know when you're here I'm always willing to go at night there as long as there is no lightning, it's perfectly protected from the wind
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

cudagreg wrote:Mddauby it's a very easy paddle and nice easy launch.

As to no bait being in salt lake it probably has to do with no lights being on. Lights attract bait at night, which brings the fish. I'm sure come June it will be better once more people are down renting and whatnot during summer they will all have the lights on.

Let me know when you're here I'm always willing to go at night there as long as there is no lightning, it's perfectly protected from the wind
For sure Cuda. I think there is a trip in the works for sometime in late June or early July. I'll hit you up as it gets closer and see if you're down there.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

FYI, I was repairing our dock, replacing some of the deck boards when I noticed algae on side facing the water! Shows how much of the lake is fresh water.