Land cut trip

Minnow Stalker

Land cut trip

Post by Minnow Stalker »

My buddy and I made a trip to the land cut where we stayed for 4 days. Weather conditions were not perfect but we managed. We had a steady SE wind that never got below 12mph and gusted up to 25mph. We headed out to the flats the first evening and found reds popping shrimp. My buddy tied on Buggs double bunny new penny and I tied on black gold curl tail. The first red we crossed spooked and entered torpedo mode. I made a hail marry cast on his way out and what do you know within a second my spinning reel is singing a sweet tune. We continued wading and shortly spotted another, my buddy makes a cast and mutters when the bug hit the water because it was about 3ft from where he wanted it. Turns out when you have a buggs tied on it doesn't matter, that red entered torpedo mode and soon after his reel was singing the song of their people. We continued to chase reds in the flats and under birds working in deeper water. We were able to get a few double hook ups under birds. Our method was the first guy to hook up would set the hook then loosen his drag a lot to keep fish from splashing while the second guy casted and hooked up. We ended up with a total of 42 keeper redfish all together and 4 were oversized all caught on buggs. We were able to release all reds except for 2 that decided the buggs were REALLY good. It was a trip for the books.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Land cut trip

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Well, well, well... Here's the part of the story he didn't tell. I've been reading all you upper Texas coast guys' reports on how good these buggs are for sightcasting. So, last month I told captain minnowstalker about them and suggested we get some for a land cut trip we are taking later this month. He ordered some and got so excited that he went early - without me!

Oh well, I can't be too mad, we're headed back down there in 11 days anyway. I can't wait!

Good job, buddy, how bout some pics?
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

That's a fact I must give full credit to redneckyakclub for introducing the buggs to me. I have learned many things from that feller and I'm far from his level but I'm working on it. My tactics are to ask him as many question as I can until I think he is annoyed then pause.... and ask some more. Just as he said I was so excited about the buggs I had to make a pre week long fishing trip. I'll work on posting some pictures, I'm still new to this.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

Also a special thanks to you guys out there that have reported on how well the buggs have done. New penny was the color of this past trip in double bunny. Check out red's tail in the center picture. I once said that mullet have split tails and reds do not. I now stand corrected.
Plastic paddler

Post by Plastic paddler »

Where can I buy Buggs Jigs in San Antonio?
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Online only here in SA. http://www.buggsfishingstore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the closest place is Corpus at Roys Tackle.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

To prove a theory you need to change lures while you are catching fish to see if another lure will produce the same under the same circumstances.

The only lure that catches fish is the one tied on!

Nice report though.
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

Godoe you are correct. I should have added a few details to my report. For starters I have been fishing the land cut flats for 13yrs. For the past 3 years my buddies and I have made a 3-4 day trip at the same time in May. This year it will be 6 of us going back in 9 days. During these past 3 years in the middle of May we have found that reds are in the flats popping 1 1/2-2" shrimp out of the grass. Many of lures have been thrown at those golden backs, some work and some work better. "IN GENERAL" those dang red's will not eat something that is swimming by. They just spook, so a paddle tail or spoon and such is a shot in the dark even if it is jigged. Gulp has been the answer being thrown at their face and jigged just as the shrimp are popping but a precise cast is a must. I'm sure gulp would have worked on this past trip I made but the difference was reds we're coming from 3ft away to nail the buggs when a bad cast was made unlike
when gulp is used. I'm not saying it's an answer to all prayers but when they are feeding on shrimp or crabs in the flats it is hard to beat. Lots of baits catch fish some just catch more. After reading good reviews on here about the hunchback I plan trying them on this next trip after it gets dark and the reds can't be sight casted to anymore. I hope for another good trip and be able to report back in 2 weeks or so.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Godoe could catch them on that buggy whip of his. I can't wait to try a fly rod down there. As small as the shrimp are that they are eating a fly will be perfect.
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

I feel like going from a spinning and bait cast to a fly rod is like going from rifle hunting to bow hunting. Whole nuther level.... One day when I decide I have satisfied my redfish itch I'll kick it up a notch and try my hand at it with you guys. Heck if it made catching those picky drum possible on a regular bases that may be enough reason right there. I'm not sure if I could ever do it out of a yak but I bet the pros can.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Minnow,

Nice follow up info. That is how we become better fishermen. Trial and error. Too many people just try to fish harder and not smarter.

The best time to experiment is when the fish are biting. Then you get true feedback. If the fish are telling you "yes" it is interesting to see what else, lures or methods, they will continue to say yes to.

Sounds like you got it working.

Yep, I only bow hunt too. If you can find a fly rod to borrow take it with you to these known fish. If you get hooked up you will fall in love. A fly rod is no "proper" way to catch fish but dang it is fun. I will be in AP from early June til early July. I will loan you a rod and plenty of flies if you want to try it.

John
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Great report. The long rod is indeed a disease. About the only time I break out my bait caster is when the wind is over 25 consistently or I feel like I need to be fishing water deeper than 2-3 feet. Otherwise, I'm hunting them with a fly rod and wouldn't have it any other way. One great way to start down here is to fish the lights at night or the wells in the deeper bay in the heat of summer with smallish flies. At night, I like my bonefish patterns, which like you mention, are quite small. I used to be a bowhunter too but alas, there are only so many months in the year and the fall is primo for tails on the flats:-)
Matt
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

GoDoe,
I greatly appreciate the offer but I'm going to hold off for now. I'm nervous that once I try a fly rod there will be no return for I have experienced that with bow hunting. I will then lose even more brownie points with the wife.

Drmsfish,
October is my favorite month of the year! Why do we only get blessed with one so magical month is my question. :cry: Then I went along and got married in the middle of it.....I must have missed that hour of life lesson class. Lol

Andrew
Dc1211

Post by Dc1211 »

Sounds like a great trip. Man I really miss going out there, only been a couple of times but I can't wait to go again.
First I've heard of the BUGGS jigs. What size were yall throwing. I'm gonna pick up some just wondering what size to get
Minnow Stalker

Post by Minnow Stalker »

Dc1211,

Call Heath and talk with him about where you fish and what areas. He is great to talk to and will be able to give you some pointers. I prefer the 1/8oz for sight casting but it doesn't cast as far as say a gulp shrimp. I was fishing windy conditions and it was doable. Also check out his website there is LOADS of good info on there. This past trip was the first time I used them and they worked. In a few more days there will be 6 of us fishing them and other lures so we will see about round 2.