Texas City - 5/2 and 5/3

grman

Texas City - 5/2 and 5/3

Post by grman »

5/2 - hit the dike about 5:30. Waited until pink light to head out. First anchor - shallow shell - stuck two nice trout right off. By then the waders were pressing down on me. Headed out to deeper shell. A couple of dry anchors then started to pickup fish around 7:30. Never could get more than one fish at a spot. After the first two - everything was 15-16". Finished my 10 at 11. Crowded - WIND OUT OF THE NORTH - that was weird. Counted 6 guide boats. Shrimp chunkers were not loosing bait. I was throwing a morning glory paddle tail - worked very slow. 6 of the 10 hit within 3 ft of the rod tip.

5/3 - things had changed. South wind 10 mph. Very light crowd. Popping slicks - that had trout on Saturday - were not trout slicks - they smelled of old fish instead of sweet grass. Finally stuck 3 fish - all small keeper and barely hooked. C&R today. They were swallowing the plastic on Saturday. Two idiot boaters were there. One ran his big motor right up the sweet part of the flat every time he went back to start a drift. Another shut down not 10 ft in front of me. Only boats there except for Hookset guide - and they ruined it for me. Left at 9.
Tbillings1128

Re: Texas City - 5/2 and 5/3

Post by Tbillings1128 »

nice report. I havent fished the dike but would like to
E.F.F.O.R.T. Fishing

Post by E.F.F.O.R.T. Fishing »

Googans i tell you! They ruin everything fishing!
grman

Post by grman »

BTW - there were only two boats that caused me heartburn on Sunday and they were not guides.

There was 10 times the traffic on Saturday - 6 guided parties - and every one of them was respectful.
They would trolling motor off the reef - then use their big motor to swing WAY around and then trolling motor in way up drift of everyone. One of the reasons I limited on Saturday was their boat handling skills.
E.F.F.O.R.T. Fishing

Post by E.F.F.O.R.T. Fishing »

Any respectable boater, guide or not is ok in my book! But then you have them googahs just zipping around scaring all the fish, then they wonder why they head back to the dock empty handed (vroom, vroom, vvvvvvvrrrooommmmmmmmm!!!) But you cant blame them, they dont know no better! Reminds me of this guy... that has to go ALLLLL the way to Rockport to catch fish! :lol:

E.F.F.O.R.T. Fishing! What puts you into reach of fish with no effort is not fishing! What puts you into reach of fish with effort!... now that's fishing boys! No piers, no boats, no guides. That's real fishing!