Fly Fishing the Guadalupe River (Pic Heavy)

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Fly Fishing the Guadalupe River (Pic Heavy)

Post by Coachsmills »

http://tailtailsigns.com/fly-fishing-th ... upe-river/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This post is a little out of the norm for me since I don't usually fish freshwater or use a fly rod. This past Sunday Aggie182 and I left the kayaks at home, grabbed the fly rods, and headed west to fish the Guadalupe river for rainbow trout. While I’ve practiced at the local ponds, I’ve never actually caught a fish on the fly. I’d like to spend some time this summer chasing redfish with the fly rod so this trip would allow me to learn few things and practice on some smaller fish.

We left Pearland at 4:15 am and made a quick stop at Whataburger before reaching the river in New Braunfels around 7:20. Temps were holding in the upper 30s with an occasional gust of wind but we had blue clear skies and temps that would rise throughout the day. We hopped into our waders, rigged our rods for nymphing, and headed down to the river. After a few quick tips from Aaron we got our flies in the water and had a double hook up on our 2nd casts. Aaron had a nice fish to start the day while my first fish was in the 6 inch range.

The action stayed pretty consistent for most of the day with each of us landing a little over 20 fish each. The majority of the fish were in the 6-10 inch range but we caught half a dozen each that were around 16″. The Guadalupe River provides some beautiful scenery and great trout fishing during the winter months for Texas residents.

Legocrusader
Location: Hobie Fishing Team & Fishing Tackle Unlimited Pro Staff

Re: Fly Fishing the Guadalupe River (Pic Heavy)

Post by Legocrusader »

Nice job Sonny. Great pictures.

I haven't fished for rainbow (or really any trout other than specs) since moving here from Michigan.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice photos. Fly fishing a stream like the Guad. is an experience not to be forgotten.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Legocrusader wrote:Nice job Sonny. Great pictures.

I haven't fished for rainbow (or really any trout other than specs) since moving here from Michigan.
Thanks Todd. Next time I'm around when you and Grant are wackin those big trout I'll be able to get y'all a couple of quality pics. This new camera is a lot of fun.
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

Great photos. Those are some solid fish. Did you capture any video?
spektakler

Post by spektakler »

Nice "Bows" Sonny, they put them in the Llano @ the State Park in Junction but we are below the dam so they cant make it to our place. I used to go up there but never caught any over 10". I do have me a new 5wt to start up this spring on bass though.
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

You're getting good with that camera! You can bring it on our next trip if you want, but you probably won't be taking any pictures of me. I can't catch a big one when someone is around to take a picture.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

My Fishing Buddy wrote:Great photos. Those are some solid fish. Did you capture any video?
I had my GoPro with me and didn't even think about placing it on my hat until we got down to 2 hours left. Next trip I definitely want to try and catch a little footage.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

jgj5533 wrote:You're getting good with that camera! You can bring it on our next trip if you want, but you probably won't be taking any pictures of me. I can't catch a big one when someone is around to take a picture.
Ha ha. I'll hide it from you. Then when you say "I sure wish you had your camera with you today" you'll be thrilled.
spektakler wrote:Nice "Bows" Sonny, they put them in the Llano @ the State Park in Junction but we are below the dam so they cant make it to our place. I used to go up there but never caught any over 10". I do have me a new 5wt to start up this spring on bass though.
I will probably try and snag a few bass at the local ponds before going after reds Mike. Going from a 16" rainbow to a slot red might be too big a leap. :lol:
spektakler

Post by spektakler »

I will probably try and snag a few bass at the local ponds before going after reds Mike. Going from a 16" rainbow to a slot red might be too big a leap. :lol: I will be starting out Green :mrgreen: on the longrod so I will be starting small.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Reds on the fly are fun. I find fighting these little trout more challenging becuase you have that tiny hook in their face. Usually a good strip set on a redfish will keep them buttoned with pressure from the rod and from the friction of the fat fly line going through the water. Reds on the fly is about as good as it gets.
big_bad_John

Post by big_bad_John »

What flies did y'all use (if you don't mind sharing)? I really want to make that trip this year. Those are some great pictures and fish!
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

big_bad_John wrote:What flies did y'all use (if you don't mind sharing)? I really want to make that trip this year. Those are some great pictures and fish!
You will have to wait for Aggie182 to answer that questions. I was throwing what he had tied on for me.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

big_bad_John wrote:What flies did y'all use (if you don't mind sharing)? I really want to make that trip this year. Those are some great pictures and fish!

We were using typical nymphing techniques with a single or double rig under a strike indicator. My top fly was generally in the size 16 range and was one of the typical attractor patterns - egg, nymph, san juan, or a variation of those. I tie my own flies so in addition to tying the standards, I tie many with variations as well. My second fly was typically a midge in the size 20-22 range - zebra midge, blood midge, etc.

More important than the flies was presentation. Getting the right amount of weight with the split shot and having your indicator set the right depth has been a bigger factor than the flies themselves. Get the presentation dialed in, and they will eat. Proper mending to allow a good drift is 100% the most important thing. You can be throwing the best fly for the situation but if you presentation is off, it won't matter.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

What a great report with some awesome pics and and solid presentation advice!

Good job guys and thanks for sharing. Looks like a blast!
big_bad_John

Post by big_bad_John »

Thank you so much for all the information. Like I said I really want to get out there this year. When does the fishing start to go downhill? Is March too late for the trout?
fishinguy2008

Post by fishinguy2008 »

What kinda hat is that?
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

fishinguy2008 wrote:What kinda hat is that?
I was just wearing a Hook Spit hat with a thick headband that is for your ears. Not sure what they are called. Aaron had some dorky hat with built on ear flaps. :lol:
forager

Post by forager »

I'm a little late on this one, but wow those are some great pictures and fish. Thanks for sharing.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

forager wrote:I'm a little late on this one, but wow those are some great pictures and fish. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Cliff. I really need to get a new lens for my Nikon but those suckers are expensive. My 300mm is a little messed up and will only shoot when manually focusing which is a pain. What camera did you end up with?
forager

Post by forager »

Haha, I bet. Those lenses can cost just as much as the actual camera sometimes, if not more. I ended up going with the Fujifilm Finepix S1. It's technically a point and shoot but is more comparable to a DSLR in some ways. It let's me shoot RAW has a long zoom, and is weather proof so I'm not too nervous to bring it on the yak. I was seriously considering getting a higher end Canon or Nikon initially, but couldn't get myself to spend that much on something I'll probably end up ruining one day on the kayak, haha.
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Don't go "freshwater" on us, Sonny! :)

I bet it was nice to step into a different habitat, though. Nice pics.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Spoonbill wrote:Don't go "freshwater" on us, Sonny! :)
Ha ha. Just a little fly rod practice for the redfish this spring. It felt weird fishing without my kayak.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

I was trying to show Sonny the other side. There's no converting him from the salt, that's for sure. You did hear his waders let out a sigh when he stepped in to the cool, clean, fresh water.
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Nice fish. I bet reds would be fun on a fly rod.