Seawolf Park on Thanksgiving Eve

Aggie94

Seawolf Park on Thanksgiving Eve

Post by Aggie94 »

I took a scouting/fishing trip to Galveston to search for some bank/wade fishing areas. One of my oldest buddies from way back in high school and college has a young son who is interested in saltwater fishing so we want to plan a trip out. I am by no means an expert, but my friend doesn't know anything at all so I thought I could try to help him learn the basics. I'll probably give him a Hook-n-Line map and a copy of Ray's book for Christmas to help him get started :) .

I brought my big dog, Minnie, with me as company and to watch my stuff. Minnie and I checked out the South Jetty flats, The Lagoon, and my old crabbing area on Boddecker Drive (wow- that place has changed in the last ten years!). No action there, but I didn't stay long because it is hard to fish and mind a 100 pound English mastiff mix at the same time. She is a great car rider, but not much of a salty dog.

Anyway, my friend had mentioned Seawolf Park so I decided to check it out lastly as it was open until midnight. I've heard a lot of mixed things about it as far as fishing is concerned. We got there sometime after 6pm. Minnie preferred to sleep in the Jeep and it was cool enough so I let her sleep while I fished. I was able to park in the row right by the concrete railing and started out casting there- pretty convenient. It was congested, but not too badly, and the people I was next to were friendly enough. (I can see how it would be too crowded to fish during peak times). I got a hit on my first cast and almost every one after that.

I tried fishing on the bottom for flounder, but I kept getting hung up, so I switched to popping cork almost exclusively. It was sand trout city! Everyone was catching up and down the row. I caught several ones that I would consider large for sand trout and threw some of the smaller ones back. They were hitting on everything. The bite slowed down a bit and I was wanting something bigger so I left Minnie in charge of the Jeep and decided to try the pier. Stayed there about 30 minutes because the bite was off. I only saw a few small sand trout being caught. I went back to the railing and caught a few more sandies before heading home. I didn't want to keep too many of them because I heard they don't freeze well and I knew I was going to be eating turkey today- not fish. It would have been a great place to load up for a fish fry the next day. (As an experiment I'll try frying them up tomorrow to test for myself if they really do freeze poorly- I usually cook them shortly after catching them).

I was there for over 4 hours and the whole time I didn't see anything but sand trout being caught. I know I'm not the most skilled fisherman, but I would at least expect someone there to luck into a red, spec, or flounder. Perhaps the flounder run is finishing up?

I will probably go out there again if I bring company that just wants to catch something. For kids and (and some adults) I think the action is more important than what is caught. It is a bit costly with the $6.00 parking fee + $6.00 fishing fee- but I guess the overall experience is cool depending on what you want. I think my friends son would like the action and getting to see the dolphins up close. I was amazed to see how many I could pick out even in the dark- Plus if they get bored they can look at the other attractions, while I continue to fish.

Anyway- Aggie94 and Minnie's Seawolf report boils down to - just sandies, sandies, sandies!
dr.flatfish

Re: Seawolf Park on Thanksgiving Eve

Post by dr.flatfish »

Nice report. In my book there is nothing wrong with Sandies ,specially when nothing else biting and they fry up just fine.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Nothing wrong at all with sandies. Nice report.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Some of my favorite fish to eat!