Big Trout

jgj5533

Big Trout

Post by jgj5533 »

I had an obligation this morning so I loaded up after and made an afternoon trip to the bay. I got on the water a little after 2 and started my first drift. I picked up a 23" red on my first drift, but decided to do some scouting after not getting anything else. I worked a few different shorelines and just couldn't find anything.

I headed back to the area I caught the red and saw lost of scared mullet around. On my 2nd cast I hooked into a monster trout. As I was getting ready to net her she took off and spit the hook. I was frustrated, but knew it couldn't be the only big one around. I kept working my topwater and a few minutes later I get another blowup. It was another big trout but this time I got her in the net. I put her on the board and she stretched out to 27".
27t.JPG
After those big trout I never left the area. I just made the same drift over and over. It paid off again with another fat trout at 27.5".
27.6.JPG
A few casts later I lose another trout at the yak that looked to be about 25". I cast back out and the next cast I bring in another trout that was just under 25".
24.9.JPG
I made one final drift and a huge fish nails my topwater. For a second I thought I had hooked the 30" trout that I have been after for so long. After a short time I realize that this wasn't a trout I was battling. I bring the fish in and see that it's an oversized red. It was about to get dark so I headed in after that. Ended with 5 nice trout, a slot red, and an oversized red. Everything was released to fight another day. The only lure I threw was my pink skitterwalk. All fish were caught in 2'-3' of water over shell and mud. Tide was outgoing.
jgj5533

Re: Big Trout

Post by jgj5533 »

A few more pics.
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
30.75.JPG
spoon

Post by spoon »

awesome fish! troutzilla lol
tguff

Post by tguff »

Awesome fish! That'll give you enough to run on for awhile! :clap: :clap:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Some days are set to never be beat, but we have to try don't we? Thanks for sharing. Great job.
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Doesn't get a lot better than that, and on top. :clap: :clap:
non pro angler \m/

Post by non pro angler \m/ »

Awesome catch...man those trout look fat. Congrats :clap:
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Nice trout!!! Nothing like topwaters.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Really nice trout on topwater. Wont be long until that 30"er is on the end of the line.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Skipping your friends birthday fish fry to hit the water. At least they were big ones. lol
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Probably gonna be a run on pink skitterwalks in the next few days, lol!
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Congrats on a great day on the water. Its nice to see some big trout getting caught!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

El Gato Diablo wrote:Probably gonna be a run on pink skitterwalks in the next few days, lol!
I was thinking I'd pick up a couple :lol:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

That ranks as a great day in my book. I have had a lot of good days and a few great days on the water, usually catching trout on topwaters. Probably only three days like that trip you had. Congratulations!!!

Count your blessings, gives thanks to the man above and keep plugging for that big 30" sow.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

And make note of the conditions - day before a full moon, whatever the tide was doing, pressure 29.96 and falling and the stuff you have in the report. I know I've taken note.
FishNMike

Post by FishNMike »

Well, my story goes a little something like this.....And it certainly does not top your day JGJ as those are outstanding cows!!!!
It all started around the dinner table on Thursday evening with a conversation with my 16 y/o son. A little artistic freedoms may have been added for substance.

Thursday.....
Me: "son, how bout we take the yaks to the bay Saturday morning and nail some specs"
Son "Yeah dad that would be great, you are the best dad ever"

Friday as I begin to gear up.......
Son: "Dad i'm going to spend the night at Pepe's (grandpa's) house.
Me: "what about fishing" :(
Son: "well Pepe wants to go dove hunting at the ranch on Saturday. Why don't you come with us since you are the best shot EVER and I love you"
Me: "Ummm, Ok sure son, i'll bring your shotgun"

Saturday morning.......4AM

Me: "oh that darn alarm, well I guess I'd better load up the dove hunting gear and head out. Oh my, is that my phone chirping? Who could be texting me at this early hour?"
Son: "Hey dad, i'm tired......i'm not going dove hunting"
Me: "WHAT???"
Son: "yeah sorry dad, i'm just too tired from going to the football game last night with friends"
Me: "Whatever"

Me: "well maybe i'll just go to the bay now....."
So I put away the hunting gear and go back to bed!

Sorry , no pictures.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Awesome fish! Sick with envy.
labtech81

Post by labtech81 »

Man, nicely done!!! :clap:
I can't wait till I catch my first trout on top.
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

I appreciate it guys.
Coachsmills wrote:Skipping your friends birthday fish fry to hit the water. At least they were big ones. lol
Haha I know, I'm a jerk. I bet you would have skipped your own party if you knew the big trout were out though.
Yaklash wrote:And make note of the conditions - day before a full moon, whatever the tide was doing, pressure 29.96 and falling and the stuff you have in the report. I know I've taken note.
That's a good point on the notes. For a while I was taking notes after every trip, but I've been slacking in that department recently.
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

Slayer21 wrote:Great trip! Nothing like pigs on tops. I'm waiting for Corky season.
It's almost here. In a few months I'll be swapping out my pink skitterwalk for a pink corky.
Sisco Kid

Post by Sisco Kid »

Good job, that was s greatntrip.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

jgj5533 wrote:Haha I know, I'm a jerk. I bet you would have skipped your own party if you knew the big trout were out though.
Probably so. Since you didn't even get me a gift I'll be selling your GPS coordinates to the highest bidder. I'll let you know what I buy with the money so you can feel good about what you got me.
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

Coachsmills wrote:
jgj5533 wrote:Haha I know, I'm a jerk. I bet you would have skipped your own party if you knew the big trout were out though.
Probably so. Since you didn't even get me a gift I'll be selling your GPS coordinates to the highest bidder. I'll let you know what I buy with the money so you can feel good about what you got me.
haha I don't see any bids. Hopefully my spot is safe.
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Slayer21 wrote:Great trip! Nothing like pigs on tops. I'm waiting for Corky season.
You still fish? Haha
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Slab town :!: