Bayou Vista - 9/6/2014

adanvjr

Bayou Vista - 9/6/2014

Post by adanvjr »

Good evening,

Went to Bayou Vista this morning from 6 am to 11 am.

I was curious about this marsh lake on the north side of the railroad tracks on Pierce, as I've never been there.

I paddled through the deeper cuts and would stirrup horse mullet and menhaden.

I casted in swimbaits and Carolina rigged DOA shrimp, but nothing. From time to time, I would spook something big hiding in the pockets, but I'm thinking they're just big mullet. The whole marsh is filled with bait, but couldn't find any of them scattering in the distance.

After scouting and exploring the marsh, I guess it seems more of an ideal place for the fall and winter?? Not sure.

I exited around 8 am and headed to the RR bridge. With a Mini-Rattletrap, I hooked and landed a 2 rat reds (not even 12"), and 2 small specks that I would lose when they surfaced.
Ran into 2 other kayakers at the bridge, one that hooked an 18" Red.

The bite quickly ended, so I decided to explore further on the mud flats that are south of the RR tracks, but east of Pierce marsh. Again, horse mullet would get stirred up on some parts but no nervous bait fish. I paddled further east to these 2 small drains, where I would see LOTS of menhaden leap out of the water. I was almost sure they were getting hit by reds. After a half-hour, I casted almost everything there, but would not get a single hit.

Around 10:00, the tide started to move out, so I went back to the RR bridge to see if reds would get back there, but nothing. About 11 am, the heat started to get to me, so I decided to paddle back and head home.

Nothing much, but at least I didn't get skunked.
I'm just glad I got to go fishing, especially after a horrible work week.

I hope others had some better luck though.
ranben2762

Re: Bayou Vista - 9/6/2014

Post by ranben2762 »

Not certain of the exact locations that you've mentioned...

I've covered most of the area marked "Lake?". When I paddle out from Louis' I'm always watching the grass lines to the north of the channel. I've seen flounder flying after shrimp and reds running the edges. With the high tides we've had lately there is always a possibility of bait and fish being up in that area. But...I'll usually take a look and head to the RR bridge.

If the mud flats you refer to are at the other area marked, that may be some tough hunting. Looking at Google Earth you can see that there are random areas of shell/mud but the water is usually too deep to see the bottom. If I'm not sure of the structure or contour I may make a drift pass but then move on. If I exit the southeast end of the marsh and the winds are in my favor, I'll paddle across that flat and drift the RR tracks on my way back to the bridge.

Hope that helps...

Nice report. Thanks for sharing!

Randy
Attachments
Earth1.jpg
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

Yes, the spots you marked are the exact places.
The lake was about 2 feet deep or more during high tide. Those channels were more like 5 feet deep.

The mud flats indeed had some mud and shell near highland bayou, but that area that you marked is deep and I couldn't see any kind of structure.

Thanks for the advice.
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

One thing I forgot to add:

There was pretty much zero wind the entire time I was there.
The only current I've seen was during the small low tide and the PBs going through the bayou.

I think it was a big impact on the outcome.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

No fish back in there. Its like Sportsman's Rd, just a spot to send the noobs.
Punchingclowns

Post by Punchingclowns »

Milkjug wrote:No fish back in there. Its like Sportsman's Rd, just a spot to send the noobs.

I agree... nothing to see here, move along..