8/19 Bayou Vista Scouting

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

8/19 Bayou Vista Scouting

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Had the opportunity to get out yesterday afternoon for a quick paddle exercise trip to Bayou Vista. Got there around 6:40pm and unloaded as quick as possible to make the best of the hour before sunset. Paddled past the RR tracks where a group of power boaters were catching lady fish and headed to the first cut of Pierce Marsh.

Low tide starting with a feeling of incoming. The wind was in the 10-12mph from the SSE probably. Water clarity was muddy in the 6-12 inches tops. Not a lot of bait out there, just tons of happy horse mullets jumping around doing their thing. Had some so close that they could have jump into the kayak.

Paddled around the marsh and it was like 6-8 inches deep, still I could not see any signs of reds and it was quickly getting dark, so I paddled my way out and fish parallel to the RR tracks as the good spot was already taken. Few bumps, but nothing interesting happen other than the lady fish caught by the power boater in the good spot.

Took my home made 360 light (PVC and LED flashlight) and started scouting the house canals. Very little shadows as fish are mostly hiding deep. Couple of hungry dinks came up following the lures, but not really hitting them. Catch couple of small trout that were place back into the water. Since nothing interesting was happening and feeding frenzy was not seen or heard I just went back to the launch around 10:40pm and was back at home and packed by 11:10pm.

Seems Bayou Vista is not the place to go to have some night fun. Many of the lights that you could see before were not working and even those that were working had no fish to merit a trip back any time soon.

Used Vudu Shrimp and Chicken Boy Shrimps at the marsh and Mirrolure Mini at the lights. Like more my rat-l-trap 1/8 oz, but there out at Walmart when I went looking for them.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: 8/19 Bayou Vista Scouting

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Not that is much but here was what was around the lights
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408557425.289187.jpg
stuman

Post by stuman »

The reds have been thick in the back of PM lately. I haven't even put a lure in the water until I reach the canal running to the first lake.
NastyNate

Post by NastyNate »

stuman wrote:The reds have been thick in the back of PM lately. I haven't even put a lure in the water until I reach the canal running to the first lake.
Shhhhh....
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I concur. No fish back there and it just gets worse during the Fall.
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

Milkjug wrote:I concur. No fish back there and it just gets worse during the Fall.
yea...pierce marsh is where we send all the newbs! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: