Bird Island tips

saride

Bird Island tips

Post by saride »

Going to try out bird island for the first time. Can anyone point me in any good directions?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Bird Island tips

Post by Yaklash »

saride wrote:Going to try out bird island for the first time. Can anyone point me in any good directions?
Not to snipe, but you do know that there is a Bird Island in almost every Bay on earth.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

The bird island you are probably talking about SA is in PINS, pretty much anywhere and everywhere holds fish at some point during the year. The trick is locating the patterns of wind and hidden structure that produce. That said, the best and only way to get on fish in BIB is through putting in time on the water. Pretend your a predatory fish, where would you ambush prey with the wind and current pushing bait in X direction. Where would the bait pile up in the X time of day... the possibilities are endless but you will begin to see patterns. Any direction you go in is the right direction as long as you have a line wet.
FlatLuck

Post by FlatLuck »

SAHunter1983 wrote:The bird island you are probably talking about SA is in PINS, pretty much anywhere and everywhere holds fish at some point during the year. The trick is locating the patterns of wind and hidden structure that produce. That said, the best and only way to get on fish in BIB is through putting in time on the water. Pretend your a predatory fish, where would you ambush prey with the wind and current pushing bait in X direction. Where would the bait pile up in the X time of day... the possibilities are endless but you will begin to see patterns. Any direction you go in is the right direction as long as you have a line wet.
Ha! Vague yet informative. I agree with this post. We've also killed 'em on grass flats with seemingly no reason for them to be there. It's a great place to fish. For what it's worth, from my experiences there, water clarity matters. the clearer the better. Only times I've been skunked there it was crap clarity.
SW wadefish

Post by SW wadefish »

SAHunter1983 wrote:The bird island you are probably talking about SA is in PINS, pretty much anywhere and everywhere holds fish at some point during the year. The trick is locating the patterns of wind and hidden structure that produce. That said, the best and only way to get on fish in BIB is through putting in time on the water. Pretend your a predatory fish, where would you ambush prey with the wind and current pushing bait in X direction. Where would the bait pile up in the X time of day... the possibilities are endless but you will begin to see patterns. Any direction you go in is the right direction as long as you have a line wet.
x2 on comments above.

Additionally, watch the wind a day before you go out. If it's over 17 knts over an extended period of time, a lot of the stuff closer to the ICW around Bird Island and Rock Island and the spoils between could be blown out unless the wind dies way down overnight. I love to fish the spoils, but the wind doesn't always let you. Also, there is a LOT of water to the north as you put in that's more protected from the SE wind.

Don't get run over by a windsurfer :wink: