Kingwood Kayak Fishing Report

MagicYaker

Re: Kingwood Kayak Fishing Report

Post by MagicYaker »

bigred90gt wrote:I'm not going to ask where your "spot" is, but where do you put in for that side of the lake? Are you putting in on the other side or in Luce's and paddling over, or is there a place over there?
There are several spots just gotta get out and test them. Like near Sharky's and Kings Point park.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

MagicYaker wrote:
bigred90gt wrote:I'm not going to ask where your "spot" is, but where do you put in for that side of the lake? Are you putting in on the other side or in Luce's and paddling over, or is there a place over there?
There are several spots just gotta get out and test them. Like near Sharky's and Kings Point park.
I'm not looking for fishing holes, I just don't know where to launch on that side of the lake. growing up, we always put in at 1960 marina and went wherever we wanted to fish in the boat. The only time I've ever put in anywhere else on the lake was last month in the yak I launched from Ponderosa. Is there somewhere to launch near Sharky's? I've never been there but it looks like a big shopping center. I'm all for finding my own places to fish, I am just looking for places to park my truck and launch my kayak.
stryper

Post by stryper »

I doubt anyone would say anything if you were quick about launching there.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

You can park and launch at the docks. Or I have parked in the parking lot and walked my gear to the shore right before WLH bridge and launched there.
Joe91009

Post by Joe91009 »

bigred90gt wrote:
MagicYaker wrote:
I'm not looking for fishing holes, I just don't know where to launch on that side of the lake. growing up, we always put in at 1960 marina and went wherever we wanted to fish in the boat. The only time I've ever put in anywhere else on the lake was last month in the yak I launched from Ponderosa. Is there somewhere to launch near Sharky's? I've never been there but it looks like a big shopping center. I'm all for finding my own places to fish, I am just looking for places to park my truck and launch my kayak.

30.022464, -95.168461

This is a little park me and my friend launched from a couple weeks ago. You can park on the side of the road. It's about 100 yards to the water though, so don't forget your cart like we did! We searched around for a place to launch for almost an hour and this is best place we found.

We originally planned to launch at Sharky's, but there were no trespassing/no fishing signs at the dock. The bulkhead is also about 3ft above the water line. I would not recommend launching from there...

Here is a cut to the main river: 30.029012, -95.165561 It comes out about 1/4 mile south of Sharky's. If you look on Google Earth it looks like there is a cut closer to the launch, but there was too much vegetation and we couldn't get through that one.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Yea thats known as Kings River Park...There is also a Kings Point park more in the back of kingwood.
Joe91009

Post by Joe91009 »

Yea I found some old thread where a guy mentioned "Kings Point Park" as a place to launch, but that place does not show up on Google Maps/Earth! We finally found "Kings River Dr." and just drove down until we found the park. Spent a good part of our fishing time looking for that damn place lol.

Do you know of anywhere to launch further up the San Jacinto? I want to fish north of the W Lake Houston bridge, but from the park to the bridge is almost 1 1/2 mile paddle...
FoolishSchoolFish

Post by FoolishSchoolFish »

If you are a kingwood resident with a "k sticker" you can launch from river grove park off woodland hills. Or you can park under the 59 bridge and launch from there, but I wouldn't feel good about leaving my truck there. I've heard that you can launch from that dirt road/boat ramp just to the east of 59, between the highway and railroad bridge, and that there's a guy who runs it as a marina who collects a small launch fee... But I've never launched there so not sure of it's current status. Beware if you try to launch from river grove without a "k sticker," you will definitely get towed.
FoolishSchoolFish

Post by FoolishSchoolFish »

Nevermind, just saw you wanted to fish north of the w lake houston bridge and not the 59 bridge. I'm pretty sure you can launch behind the YMCA and paddle down. Might want a kayak cart to make life easier between the parking lot and the water. Not sure about any closer spots.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Yea behind the Y there is no fish there.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Joe91009 wrote:Yea I found some old thread where a guy mentioned "Kings Point Park" as a place to launch, but that place does not show up on Google Maps/Earth! We finally found "Kings River Dr." and just drove down until we found the park. Spent a good part of our fishing time looking for that damn place lol.

Do you know of anywhere to launch further up the San Jacinto? I want to fish north of the W Lake Houston bridge, but from the park to the bridge is almost 1 1/2 mile paddle...
East End park will allow you to launch way N. YOU NEED A CART for sure though. Its a good 1/2 mile walk if you park at the dirt rd.