Pilkington Bayou - Palacios 8/2

limbwalker

Pilkington Bayou - Palacios 8/2

Post by limbwalker »

Talked my 13 year old daughter into paddling across Tres Palacios with me on Saturday to explore Pilkington Bayou. This was our 1st trip over there, and I decided to take advantage of the relatively light North wind. We launched at the bait shop on Grassy Point, and by my measurements, it's just over a mile across the Pilkington from there. The folks at the bait shop were very nice, and didn't have any problem with us parking and launching there (I always ask first). So we put in the boats, tried the break in the seawall just South of the launch first (no luck) then started paddling across. We were slightly into the breeze, but got across in about 10 minutes or so. Once there, we fished around a boat that was in the mouth of the slough for a while. There were the occasional bird diving just 100 or so yards offsore, but no bites below them. We eased in the slough (the guys in the boat were very nice) and then started looking for tails in action in the edges. Unfortunately, the N. wind has the water pushed out of Tres Palacios bay, and the slough was very low. All the oyster beds were completely exposed and the water wasn't up in the grass at all.

We paddled back in the slough to the first real sharp bend (where we could see the house on the S. shoreline) and then gave up on that, and paddled back to the mouth. By then, the boat had left (they weren't catching any on live shrimp - which is a clue). We enjoyed our lunch on the gravel bar at the mouth, then stood up to fish all around there for a good 40 minutes or more. Still nothing. Not even a bite, despite something chasing minnows around us all the while.

Not wanting to totally burn out my daughter, we started the paddle back and the trip was relatively easy, despite the chop.

We tried the cut in the seawall South of the bait shop again, but still nothing, so we packed it in.

Any day on the water with my youngest daughter in a kayak is a real treat. So it wasn't really disappointing that we didn't catch any.

Maybe next time.
Attachments
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
Aug 2 kayak trip.jpg
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Pilkington Bayou - Palacios 8/2

Post by CoastieCulture »

Memories made that won't be forgotten.
limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

Absolutely.
limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

Despite not catching anything, the daughter was quite happy. Here she is showing off in Pilkington.

I suspect whether we catch fish is much more important to me than to her, although she does enjoy catching fish. But a good day in the kayak with dad is still pretty good in her eyes, I think.
Attachments
10563132_629466197151907_6940849596640228212_n.jpg