Beachfront - Surfside - 08-03-14

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Beachfront - Surfside - 08-03-14

Post by Yaklash »

Hit the surf this morning; on the water before 6:00. First 15-20 minutes were like the keystone cops. 2 backlashes and the second one sent my topwater flying out to the 3rd bar :oops:

Set my brakes, retied with a smaller topwater (had been missing small fish) & went back to chunking. At about 6:30 the $h!t turned on. Shrimp and Shad jumping all around. Caught about 15 trout between 6:30 & 7:00, 3 of which were 16"-18", the rest if which were 14"-15". Topwater bite shut down at 7:00, so I tied on a Soft-Dine. That worked. Another 7 or so, one of which was 19" as well as three Smacks. Another 4 or 5 freight train hits, probably Smacks that didn't hook up.

Took a break back to the car for my sunglasses, my knife, some water and a new leader. Put 4 trout and the 1 good sized Smack in the box and went back out with a 3/4 oz HunchBack and nailed a good 20" trout on my second cast, but then nothing else for a while, so I went back to the Soft-Dine casting to nervous bait. That worked. Another 6 trout on Soft-Dine and a Fatboy in the same color.

Off the water by 9:30 with a limit of trout 16"-20".

I bled the second batch of trout and am including a pic that shows the difference in the color of the meat when you bleed them.

Also included a picture of the lure that was broken. Placed next to an unused (Pearl) bait. It was the big smack that broke it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Beachfront - Surfside - 08-03-14

Post by karstopo »

Nice report! Nice fish! I like soft suspending baits like Corkies and soft dines but hate sacrificing them to smacks and blue fish.

I've launched a few skitterwalks like that.

Good tip on the bleeding. I've always just tossed them on ice. Those 16-20" are what I think are the best size to eat.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

karstopo wrote:Good tip on the bleeding. I've always just tossed them on ice. Those 16-20" are what I think are the best size to eat.
Thinking about it later, I feel kind of bad that I bled those last 6 trout right in area where the families had shown up and right as the cloud of blood was growing, a kid walking by with her parents said, "look Mommy, he's making those fish bleed. Why are you doing that?" I told her it made "the fish taste better" and she just looked at me with scorn in her eyes. Her Mom glared at me something fierce too.

But I didn't feel bad about that. I feel bad about that big cloud of blood and how the sharks would be swinging a little closer to shore after that.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yaklash wrote:
karstopo wrote:Good tip on the bleeding. I've always just tossed them on ice. Those 16-20" are what I think are the best size to eat.
Thinking about it later, I feel kind of bad that I bled those last 6 trout right in area where the families had shown up and right as the cloud of blood was growing, a kid walking by with her parents said, "look Mommy, he's making those fish bleed. Why are you doing that?" I told her it made "the fish taste better" and she just looked at me with scorn in her eyes. Her Mom glared at me something fierce too.

But I didn't feel bad about that. I feel bad about that big cloud of blood and how the sharks would be swinging a little closer to shore after that.
Someone "bled" that hamburger or chicken they just ate, but as long as their hands are clean...
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Great report and catch.
Zool

Post by Zool »

Thanks for the report Yak - can i ask how do you bleed your fish?
Erock

Post by Erock »

I love that green softdine! I whipped mine off a couple trips ago in the yak, need to pick up another one.
Earth's End Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Richmond/Katy Area - Hobie Outback/ O Peixão Dourado/ The Big Gold Fish

Post by Earth's End Kayaker »

Congrats on some nice fish and thanks for the report!
How do you bleed trout to get the whiter meat as shown, your recommendations?

EEK

Yaklash wrote:

Erock

Post by Erock »

^^^^ Snip some of their gill plates. On reds cut the tail a little a the base.
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

Great report YL
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Well done. Nothing worse then getting serious backlash when your on the fish.....I have that problem when there is no fish! :lol:

I would not worry about the blood with regards to the swimmers, you should have been worried for your own skin. I bet the sharks where ALREADY there chasing the shad, trout and anything else making a splash.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

To bleed trout, I cut their throat while the fish is still in the water. On the underside of the fish, where the two gill plates come together, cut across the part of the throat towards the front of the fish until you see blood. Then I sort of shake the stringer back and forth once all the throats are cut to wake up the fish. The fish must be alive and still flapping its tail. They'll usually bleed out in less than 20 seconds.

And if you're wading, don't do this in chest-deep shark infested water. :D
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

cliftonio wrote:I would not worry about the blood with regards to the swimmers, you should have been worried for your own skin. I bet the sharks where ALREADY there chasing the shad, trout and anything else making a splash.
Yeah, I was in knee deep water up against the shore. That day two guys from Southern Oklahoma (read Dallas) tried to wade out to the third bar. That got out there and the turned around and quickly scooted back to the second bar. I asked why they didn't stay out there. One said he got brushed by what he said was a 6ft shark :shock: I stopped going to the third bar years ago for the same reason.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Erock wrote:I love that green softdine! I whipped mine off a couple trips ago in the yak, need to pick up another one.
I think for future trips to the surf, I'm going to get a Mirro-Dine in that green color. I'm sure it will have the same action, but it will be able to last more than 30 minutes or a single 20" Spanish Mackerel. :roll:
Earth's End Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Richmond/Katy Area - Hobie Outback/ O Peixão Dourado/ The Big Gold Fish

Post by Earth's End Kayaker »

Thanks Yaklash for the method for bleeding trout for the ligher/whiter meat.
I will try that on my next batch!

EEK

Yaklash wrote:To bleed trout, I cut their throat while the fish is still in the water. On the underside of the fish, where the two gill plates come together, cut across the part of the throat towards the front of the fish until you see blood. Then I sort of shake the stringer back and forth once all the throats are cut to wake up the fish. The fish must be alive and still flapping its tail. They'll usually bleed out in less than 20 seconds.

And if you're wading, don't do this in chest-deep shark infested water. :D
Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: West Columbia, Surfside, San Luis Pass, East Matagorda kicking back for an Endless Summer

Post by Hutch »

Yaklash wrote:
cliftonio wrote:I would not worry about the blood with regards to the swimmers, you should have been worried for your own skin. I bet the sharks where ALREADY there chasing the shad, trout and anything else making a splash.
Yeah, I was in knee deep water up against the shore. That day two guys from Southern Oklahoma (read Dallas) tried to wade out to the third bar. That got out there and the turned around and quickly scooted back to the second bar. I asked why they didn't stay out there. One said he got brushed by what he said was a 6ft shark :shock: I stopped going to the third bar years ago for the same reason.
Yep, that 3rd bar has it's excitement. A few that I also stay away from.

Smacks and Sharks seem to like each other. This year has been a boom for both in the surf.
labtech81

Post by labtech81 »

Nice report and great tip, thanks!
mfwhite60

Post by mfwhite60 »

i became a believer after we went on a trip to Tampa last year...walking out on a pier over emerald water my Costa's helped me see several sharks swimming in the second gut that noone else seemed to saw...then i realized they (and my girlfriend) didn't have polarized sun glasses on...as each looked thru my sun glasses they were amazed!...i have no desire to venture beyond the 2nd bar any more!