Specks and Reds

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Specks and Reds

Post by Coachsmills »

Grant (JGJ5533) and I had a pretty good day of trout fishing with a few reds thrown in the mix. It had been a while since we'd had a chance to get together to chase fish so with Grant just getting back from a week in the Bahamas, a trip together was long overdue. We decided to head down to the Matagorda area since we hadn't been in a while. We met up at 5:30 am, unloaded the kayaks, and launched into the dark. We made our way to the first area we planned to fish and found plenty of trout. They had bait pushed up against a wind blown shoreline and were constantly darting through which sent them scattering in every direction. We both started off by throwing topwaters with a few blowups that didn't connect. I switched over to one of my new Hydra Buggs and immediately hooked up with a solid 18 inch speck. Grant was needing to restock the freezer so on the stringer it went. I picked up another couple trout in the same area and all of a sudden they were gone. Grant landed a couple trout as well on his Skitterwalk and we decided to move into a small cove since the trout bite had died. I spotted a few reds crawling through a combination of grass and moss so I decided to see if I could pick a few of them off while Grant stayed in slightly deeper water. Sight casting the reds was more difficult than usual because as soon as the lure hit the water it was covered in the moss. I managed to pick up two reds by casting past the grass/moss and burning the Hydra Bugg past the fish and hoping for a reaction strike. Grant managed a couple of reds and lost a another trout or two as well. We decided to try our luck in slightly deeper water to work a few reefs for trout again. At this point Grant could do no wrong and I could not do right. He had plenty of blowups and landed another five specks up to 23" while I couldn't even get a nibble on my She Dog or Hunchback. We ended the day with a combined 10 trout between 17 and 23 inches and four reds in the lower to mid slot. All of Grant's fish came on his Pink Skitterwalk while mine came on a Chained Beast Hydra Bugg with a white tail. I also tried a Bone colored She Dog and ate-o-ate colored Hunchback with no takers. It was a fun day on the water with a nice meat haul for Grant.

http://tailtailsigns.com/specks-and-reds-7-2-14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
photo 2.JPG
gdavis

Re: Specks and Reds

Post by gdavis »

killer stringers!
labtech81

Post by labtech81 »

Man that looked and sounded like a sweet day!!!
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Nice job CUDA Brutha!
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Nice report
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Nice report!
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

It was a fun morning. I should have stayed out deeper the entire trip. I ended up going in the marsh for a few hours and found an area with reds crawling everywhere. The grass was really bad though so all I could really do was throw a topwater or burn a plastic across the top. I only had a few blow ups and caught and 18" and 20" red which I threw back. I wish I would have kept the 20"er which would have given me a limit, but I never found the upgrade and finished with 2 reds. I tried different plastics without success. One fish came on a wake bait and all the rest were on my pink skitterwalk.
This was my big trout of the day.
image.jpg
Here is the smaller red I threw Back.
image.jpg
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Excellent post Sonny. Grant and yourself did a number on them. Can't help thinking Calbert was in the area somehow, cause he's always on them. :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Matyyaker on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Nice fish. That grass is tough to figure out.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Good job out there :!:
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »