Flounder + Question

Tuna1214

Flounder + Question

Post by Tuna1214 »

Slow day for me. Spotted a few slot reds back in the grass but they were overly sensitive. I'm used to their bold aggressive attitudes but all I did was spook em today. I did have some fun when I came upon some breaching active flounder. Picked up this beauty on a tequila rocks paddle tail.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406506927.647345.jpg
I'm exited about Z-mans pop shad. I've been looking for a weedless soft bodied top water for this kind of day. Cast past the reds in the grass and slowly bring in into their zone. What kind of setup are you guys using for this approach now?

I look forward to hearing some feedback.

Tuna
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Flounder + Question

Post by Jedi »

I use a Texas rigged Z-Man ShrimpZ tail first. Cast into the grass past the reds and reel in slowly. My hits usually come after the bait climbs up the grass and falls back into the water. The key is to reel in extremely slow.
c.meckert

Post by c.meckert »

Try a D.O.A airhead and rig it weedless with no weight. It is not a topwater but when there is no weight and you have your rod tip up it works as a topwater. Also, to give the tail more action, clip the tail backwards on an angle about halfway up the tail. I caught a ton of reds in Pine Island Sound using the Airhead and it works great as a topwater.
c.meckert

Post by c.meckert »

Try a D.O.A airhead and rig it weedless with no weight. It is not a topwater but when there is no weight and you have your rod tip up it works as a topwater. Also, to give the tail more action, clip the tail backwards on an angle about halfway up the tail. I caught a ton of reds in Pine Island Sound using the Airhead and it works great as a topwater. You do not need to work it fast to keep it on top.
flat fish stalker

Post by flat fish stalker »

I have used both Texas rig and Carolina rig with 2/0 offset worm hook and 1/16th bullet weight .Gulp chartreuse swimming mullet has been best go to bait for me .Congrats tuna on the new addition to family , now you have 2 nephews to take fishing . By the way this is Ron , we need to meet up some time and go fishing .
blzn04

Post by blzn04 »

That is some strategically placed water drops that got on your camera. I hate it when that happens! haha
waterdog

Post by waterdog »

The light pole gave away your location. Now everyone is going to be there!
Tuna1214

Post by Tuna1214 »

waterdog wrote:The light pole gave away your location. Now everyone is going to be there!
damn light pole...
Tuna1214

Post by Tuna1214 »

flat fish stalker wrote:I have used both Texas rig and Carolina rig with 2/0 offset worm hook and 1/16th bullet weight .Gulp chartreuse swimming mullet has been best go to bait for me .Congrats tuna on the new addition to family , now you have 2 nephews to take fishing . By the way this is Ron , we need to meet up some time and go fishing .
Ron, I plan on hitting the water Thursday. PM me your number bud
Tuna1214

Post by Tuna1214 »

blzn04 wrote:That is some strategically placed water drops that got on your camera. I hate it when that happens! haha
trust no one
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Not light pole. Utility pole. Note 2 wires traversing top. Potlicker has shared his background-analyzing software and it is currently processing. Results pending.
Tuna1214

Post by Tuna1214 »

Milkjug wrote:Not light pole. Utility pole. Note 2 wires traversing top. Potlicker has shared his background-analyzing software and it is currently processing. Results pending.
lol
pescayak

Post by pescayak »

blzn04 wrote:That is some strategically placed water drops that got on your camera. I hate it when that happens! haha
lol :lol: