Fishing In Okie Territory.....Lake Texoma Report

AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Fishing In Okie Territory.....Lake Texoma Report

Post by AcousticTennis »

Hey there!

I've been up north in Dallas spending some time with my gal. Every once in a while ill sneak out and enjoy some time on the water. The weather has been amazing aside from the crazy amount of rain we had.

I had a list of fish that I wanted to catch while I was up here. Roger was kind enough to help me knock a few of them out. First up on the list were stripers!

We met up at the boat ramp for launch and it was a bit intimidating. Down south we can pull up to the side of the road and launch without much pressure. On the lake you have to get in line with the boaters and be quick quick quick!

We launched without any problems and enjoyed a awesome sunrise to what would be a awesome day.

We finally get to some spot and Roger tells me to try a topwater. First cast out I hear a big blow up on rogers lure. Pop Pop Pop! My attention was on Rogers topwater as it was getting blown up when out of no where I hear a explosion much closer to me. POP! Fish on!

First cast of the day got my my first striper of any real size. It was only 19.5" but I was damn proud of it!

We stayed in the area for a while and messed with the topwater bite. Eventually it died out so we ducked into another area to try some subsurface artificial action. I tied on my trusty white shallow diver and worked the dropoffs on the shoreline. Every 5th cast or so would get me a smaller striper or big sandy.

I anchored up to try my luck with gar/catfish when I hear a "did you see that?!" from Roger. A nice unexpected bass decided to hit whatever he was throwing haha.

With storms moving in we called it a day and headed back.

The open invited were out there for saturday. I expected maybe 10 kayakers to show up but we were rolling 25 kayakers deep at least! It was a crazy sight to see!

One of the first to hook up was Roger (of course) and Shaun! We kept working topwaters down the shoreline. An army of kayaks out with the same intentions.

I already had a striper or two to my name so I was content. Then my topwater gets smashed pretty violently! Drag was going and going. I get wrapped on a tree underwater but luckily it came off. After a while a pig comes floating up. I had lent my net to Jay for his catch so luckily he showed up just in time to net my new personal best 31"+ striper! Thanks, brotha!

The rest of the day was pretty slow. Schools of sand bass would show up busting but not much size to them. Others did well with topwaters and some great fish were caught. It was definitely a trip to remember. This salty fisher had a great time in the freshwater. Topwater striper beats the hell out of trout and reds.

Till Next Time!
Life is good!

Tino
herefishyfishy80

Re: Fishing In Okie Territory.....Lake Texoma Report

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

Now THAT'S a plastic armada! Sweet catches man.
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

That's a nice striper. looks like ya'll had a great time.
krisnanj

Post by krisnanj »

Tino,
I know it's been a few weeks but we are thinking about heading up to Texoma ourselves from Dallas. Do you mind telling us where you put in and fished? Also, is Roger a guide?

We are only an hour or so from Texoma, so a recon mission or two is not a big deal. But as big as the lake is, you can get into wind pretty quick if you launch at the wrong spot. Any pointers (from anyone) would be appreciated.

I lived in Corpus many, many moons ago. I lived about two blocks off the bay, and would come home from work, walk down the street and fish until dark. I hate to think of the damage I could have done if I had a kayak back then.

Thanks,
Andy
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

Guess I missed the open invite, sorry. I live in Denison (south side of Lake Texoma) and fish the lake at least once a week. I will generally launch from 1 of 2 spots, at the dam on the Texas side, or from Little Mineral Marina on the Preston Peninsula. Texoma can be an intimidating lake to fish at 89,000 acres with water depths ranging from 1ft - 80ft (up to 100ft near the dam when lake is at normal level). If anyone ever wants a fishing buddy for Texoma, just let me pm me. Week days can be a bit tricky for me to get away, but I'm generally free on the weekends.
labtech81

Post by labtech81 »

Damn Tino, you get around bro! :D
Looks like some nice water out there.