East Texas Bass Fishing

Call me AL

East Texas Bass Fishing

Post by Call me AL »

For something a little different, I carried the nucanoe to Lake Pinkston in east texas. I had to deliver the kids to the grandparents for thier week of spoiling them. The 12' nucanoe carries fine in the back on my double cab tundra but I still got a warning ticket. 6.5' bed with 12' boat. Thorndale PD thought it stuck out a bit too far. It was properly flagged and racketted down. PD said he measured 4' from bumper tailgate not included. Oh well, I've carried this boat everywhere like this.

The fishing was a bit strange. This time of year I focus on top waters early and get off the water before it gets too hot. I started fishing lilly pads near the ramp and got a couple half hearted blow ups on a ribbit frog. Moved out to some topped out hydrilla in main lake. It looked perfected and was rewarded with a massive strike. A heavy fish nailed the frog and stripped drag down through the weeds. Ultimatley it wrapped up a bunch of hydrilla and ended up pulling off. I probably stayed there too long after that with nothing to show for it. I moved one and worked hydrilla beds off the banks. A few blow ups but no hook ups. Switched to spook jr and worked just outside the hydrilla line and picked up a couple fish.

The sun got up and so did the wind. I switch to soft jerk baits and shadlious swimbait. I caught a single fish on the jerk bait but could see small 14" bass followin the bait. The water was crystal clear. On the way out, I stopped back by the topped out hydrilla and picked up a fish on the swim bait.

I went back out sunday morning with my BIL and nephew. Topwater bite was the same. Slow and scattered. We finally found somewhat of a pattern. Seemed the fish were suspended in about 15' of water. Small yum minnows on a heave weighted hook picked up a few fish.

Random pictures.
bass1.jpg
bass2.jpg
bass3.jpg
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: East Texas Bass Fishing

Post by Thinwater skinner »

You might want to change your line to a braid type to cut the weeds when you get wrapped up. You still might not land the fish, but you will have more chances to pull the fish out of the mess/slop. Good luck in the future.
Call me AL

Re: East Texas Bass Fishing

Post by Call me AL »

Yea, this is one of those lakes where you have to throw braid. I use 65lb power pro on an older citica. I had two fish wrap up and twist off on me. They were not breaking off. They would just ball up enough weed to get something to leverage against and then twist off.