Casting for a Cause

jrodriguez21

Casting for a Cause

Post by jrodriguez21 »

First off, it was great to meet everyone both at the capt's meet and on tourney day. I decided to prefish on Thursday morning, I launched at B&R early morning but the winds were heavier than I expected there were a lot of kayakers prefishing for the tournament as well. Its amazing to see how many anglers have found the love for kayak fishing! I found some reds tailing in the flats but because of the wind it was hard to see them from a distance and by the time I saw the tails I was gliding too fast, I didn't want to put the paddle in to stop because I knew it would spook the reds. Unfortunately the yak got too close spooking one red that swam right in the middle of the others and spooking them. Only reds I saw for the day :( I decided to pick up and move to my second location where it was also slow but not as much traffic. I ended up finding two flounder off a drain.
20140619_104121.jpg
Tourney day, the winds turned down and it turned out to be a nice day with only about 15 mins of a single rain cloud. My team mate and I launched where I hit the day before hoping for some bigger flounders around but no luck. We started to adventure out looking for bait. The area looked like dead water all around so we decided to do some luck fishing lol. We started casting when I noticed a bunch of bait jump simultaneously. I shouted to my buddy to keep an eye out since he was closer, again the nervous bait jumped but didn't give us any indication what way the predator was going. After a few casts/minutes with no luck I happened to see a random tail show its self so I hurried up and casted to it putting my bait right in front if it within a second or two the red took it. 25 1/4 in 5.67lb red that put up a really good fight.
20140620_082957.jpg
My buddy ended up with a 21 1/2 inch red on the other side of the island. We asked the weight recorder (not sure how for sure he was) and he told us we ended in 8th with 9.01 lbs. Overall it was a lot of fun and can't wait to do it again next year!