Basstrop 6-4-14

da_karr

Basstrop 6-4-14

Post by da_karr »

Made it out to Bastrop today. Launched my kayak at 6am, temp was 78 degrees with little wind out of the south. Rather cloudy for the first part of the day. Paddled out of the ramp and fished the grass line to the left, right past the swim buoys. I boated 6 fish between 6-730, lost a couple more also. First one I landed was a solid 3-4#'s..I need to get a scale and a waterproof camera. I dunked my iPhone last year, so I don't use it to take any more fish photos while sitting in a kayak..all were caught on a shad color Zoom swimmin fluke with a weighted swim hook. I really like the action on that lure. I lined myself up with the grass line and would cast just into the edge of the grass and pull the lure through into open water. They seemed to be in the grass early on and would hit it hard while in the grass or just out of the grass. Paddled around without any hits for awhile. Saw some schooling action in the deeper water maybe 15-30 yards out from the grass line. I positioned myself out about the same distance and would cast up into the edge of the grass and retrieve through the deeper water..ended picking up two more around 9-930, lost 2 more during this time also. From what I could tell is they were in the shallow grass early and they seemed to move outside of the grass to the deeper water after the sun came up. They were tearing up the Zoom lures..went through a whole bag this morning. Ended up 8 total with 4 spitting the hook close to the yak..also had 2 or 3 shitty hook sets and missed the fish completely..hand one that hit hard and I had it on, started stripping line big time and spit the hook. That sucked..All in all a solid 2nd trip out to Bastrop. I really like that lake..learning to fish the grass is new to me, but Im figuring it out. I also like the fact that I was basically in the no wake zone the entire time..from a kayakers stand point, just seems safer. Saw a handful of boaters out today..didnt see anyone else around me really..most were in the cove close to the plant and out by the dam. Y'all have a good week!!
greatwhitehunter

Re: Basstrop 6-4-14

Post by greatwhitehunter »

Love those Bastrop schoolies! Nice report, I'm looking forward to my next trip to Bastrop.
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Basstrop 6-4-14

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Sounds like a good day on Bastrop. Thanks for the report. I've always had tons of success fishing with Zoom superflukes there as well. (watermellon redgltr and white) One thing you might also want to consider is throwing a 3/8 oz olive swim jig with a zoom speed craw wtrmlnred trailer. I've had success landing more fish in the 4 to 6 lb range swimming the jig over the grass lines on overcast/calm days.