Fayette Lake Follies

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Fayette Lake Follies

Post by Cuervo Jones »

After many months of distractions and non-kayak related stuff, I got my behind back into the saddle and mounted a bass-seeking expedition to Fayette Lake over the long weekend. The usual holiday crowds, jet fleas, and PB's were there in abundance along with high winds and some drizzling rain. Good. I like a challenge. Long story short, the water level was nice and high but the basses ignored my top water frog. I dragged som deep dive cranking baits over a usually productive main lake point but the wind was ridiculous. I retreated to a creek channel that seems to always hold a few basses and threw Texas-rigged (yeeeehaaawww!) plastics at the unsuspecting large mouths. Thankfully my anchor held otherwise I'd have been blowing around like one of the dozens of empty water bottles I saw bobbing along. Every few casts, I felt that familiar and sweet TAP TAP TUG that means I fooled another bass into eating a piece of plastic and metal. There were dead shad floating around 1.5-2" long. Water was warm but not hot. Fish were in 8-10' of very stained water. Biggest was 20" and average was 16-18".
ImageImageImage
And to the PB guy who pulled up behind me all stealth like thinking I wouldn't notice. I did. You need to work on finding your own fish, friendo. Your super-dooper bass boat and high tech electronics are neat, but maybe you should sell them and use the proceeds to hire a guide.
Or take up golf.
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fayette Lake Follies

Post by Coachsmills »

Ha ha ha. I've missed these reports. Glad you're back. The marsh is full of reds just waiting for your fly.
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Love fishing fayette. Carolina/Texas rigged grande bass rattlesnakes in green watermelon spiked with chartreuse dip/die will slay them everytime.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The Carolina rigs work well no doubt.
Last weekend the basses were picky about the type of plastic.
Didn't want a brush hog type thing, but liked the salamander enough to eat it.
I should have tried some flukes or something, but I had none.
The fish were all nice and fat though...been eating well it seems.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report and handsome fish.
molsmard

Post by molsmard »

Took last Friday off and hit fayette in my PA. Howling winds. Caught around 2 dozen by noon. Mostly in the stickups with wtrml/red brushhogs. Biggest ones on deep-diving crankbait in 8'.