East Matty 2-22-14

Spot_n_tails1

East Matty 2-22-14

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

Weather: 50-60 degree starting off warming into the 70's with winds from the ENE shifting to the ESE at 10-15 MPH
Water Temp: 55 starting and was 68 when i got off the water
Water clarity: 6"-1' in places
Area worked: 2.5' of water working edges of stained water over muddy colored water
Tackle: All caught on popping cork with a 12" leader and a 3/8 oz jig head and a pearl white gulp shrimp

I started fishing over shell in the morning with a corky in about 4-5' of water and had nothing but i was not discouraged cause there were 4 other kayakers out there and they had nothing either and every PB i seen come and drift in never caught anything. So i made a move and fished over mud and worked the edges of the muddy water to stained water color changes. I caught one little rat red on the first drift only 17". Then i moved behind a protected shore line and drifted about 100 yards and had a bite but missed it. So i anchored up and casted a couple more times and hung a 29 inch red weighing almost 10 lbs. So i stayed there for a few hours and ended up with one more rat red and a 23 inch trout. I ended up doing some moving around and met up with Waterloo512 and his friend after meeting surfpunk that morning. I chatted with them for a bit and then started a nother drift over the area again, i stopped in one spot and hung another rat red and a 17 inch trout but let him go cause i didn't want to clean just one fish. I went back to the same spot I caught that big trout and red and i caught two more rat reds and a 20.5" red. Awesome cause i called it a day then and was able to finally get on the board for Yak Wars. I would post a video but i forgot to clean my lens and i had the sun at my back the whole time during when every fish was caught and i didn't realize it, pics are not great but all i got. It was nice meeting all the yakers that i did and hope to see yall out there again soon. All fish were caught over Soft mud with very little scattered shell.
Attachments
this was the bigger trout
this was the bigger trout
that was the second and really fought me tooth and nail
that was the second and really fought me tooth and nail
first red of the day
first red of the day
Spot_n_tails1

Re: East Matty 2-22-14

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

A few more pics
Attachments
and the trout
and the trout
A better pic of the big red
A better pic of the big red
red 3.jpg
Spot_n_tails1

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

one more pic
Attachments
phone 079.JPG
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Nice report and catch.
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Way to get out there and scratch some fish out. Nice red by the way. :clap:
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Forgot to clean your lense??? That's a rookie mistake Scott. Nice job scratching out some fish. East Matty with some east wind can be difficult.
Spot_n_tails1

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

I know I know, rookie mistake, but hey what ya going to do. but hey at least they made it on YW.
Wadefish69

Post by Wadefish69 »

At least you did some "catching". I went to w. bay last Tuesday and all I got was exercise .
Erock

Post by Erock »

Nice!
Waterloo512

Post by Waterloo512 »

Nice report, Scott. My wife asked me why I didn't bring any fish home for dinner and I had to tell her that you caught em all. Appreciate you stopping by to chat with us. Hearing that you were having some luck gave us a second wind and we were able to grind it out for a few more hours.