Took a Drum Bay Beating

Rig'emNGig'em

Took a Drum Bay Beating

Post by Rig'emNGig'em »

Headed down Friday evening and camped out at San Luis Pass on the Freeport side to fish Drum Bay for the first time. Drowned some live finger mullet in the pass on the bottom till about midnight with nothing to show for it, and didnt see either of the other two campers doing any good either. Got up at 5 and headed towards the kayak launch down towards Surfside and was on the water just after daylight. Fished the old ICW (or thats what the older kayaker we met told us it was called), then worked the oyster reefs up towards the NE shoreline trying to find areas where it had shell and mud and deeper water. Thought there might be some reds on the protected shoreline so we fished it all the way around to the ICW. Found a nice zig-zaggy canal leading into the ICW and thought there had to be some fish there for sure, but nothing. I count this up as taking my texas rookie licks, because this is a whole lot different than the Louisiana marsh Im used too. Used Corky devils, suspending jerk baits, TTF plastics, spinnerbaits, and plastics on a jig head. Thought I had an idea of what the pattern might be after reading reports for a few weeks but was dead wrong and took a beating from the wind all morning.
Attachments
DrumBayTrip3.JPG
DrumBayTrip2.JPG
DrumBayTrip.JPG
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Took a Drum Bay Beating

Post by CoastieCulture »

You put in a lot of work !! Hope you tear them up next time!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I've pulled out some trout and seen others do so in the old ICW this time of year. It deepens near rattlesnake point and I've caught trout in some of the gaps in the reef there. I like Drum Bay where you paddled in the fall. It's a puzzle fishing new water. Good luck
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

That looks like a 5-7 mile trip! Usually I stay close to where I launch and avoid those long paddles unless I'm hitting a pre-determined location that I want to fish.

The only trip I have not done yet that is kind of crazy is to hit Greens Lake. I might try that launching from FatBoys using the Hobie Sailing Kit. Last time I was going to try from GISP, but it was getting late and I was only doing 3-5 knots, so I decided to abort the test since I had no sail furling device and would not have been able to fish with a flapping sail on my face.

At least you did good recon and you might have good ideas where to spend your time next time you hit Drum Bay.

Good report! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

They should give out rewards points based on distance paddled...