2/18 At last Waderless fishing w/ bait balls everywhere

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

2/18 At last Waderless fishing w/ bait balls everywhere

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Yesterday was such a good day with temperature in the upper 70's that I decided to check the conditions during the night around the lights. Went out around 7:30pm and launched close to 8PM. As I was approaching the first light I saw a 24+ redfish eating these little fellas (crystal minnows).

Tried to cast a gulp jerk shad to the redfish that was swimming on the surface, but I was using a heavier jig from my last fishing trip to the causeway and I either did too much splash noise or the jig sink too fast for him to see it. Either way, he swam slowly away to the darkness as my yak drifted closer. Same situation happen 2 more times around other lights where I could see redfish eating these guys, but they were not interested in the gulp jerk shad.

Most lights had balls of crystal minnows so thick that you could put your hand on the water and catch them. From far it look like predators at the lights, but as soon as you got closer you could see the bait ball swimming around the light.

No fish were harm (skunk) during this trip, but it is good to start to hear popping sounds of fish eating their meals around the lights. Maybe in a couple of more weeks as the heat keeps steady on the 60's and 70's thing will be getting better.

I think it's time to take out the YoZuri Crystal Minnows or the rat-l-trap's 1/8 out to catch these bullies on the surface. :lol:
Attachments
20140219_140916000_iOS.jpg
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 2/18 At last Waderless fishing w/ bait balls everywhere

Post by Throttlehead250 »

time to break out the fly rod and some tiny clousers!!
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Zoom tiny flukes on 1/32oz heads tandem rigged works really well in the lights.
unspokenkid9013

Post by unspokenkid9013 »

surfpunk wrote:Zoom tiny flukes on 1/32oz heads tandem rigged works really well in the lights.
Love using flukes for nights like those. You go to the lights in clearlake
WLShafor

Post by WLShafor »

Cast net and you got crappie bait! Dunno if its legal to do this or not I'd check regs before hand
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

Went out last night (2/19) on the lake and hit a few of my favorite lights. Managed one spec(19") on the first few casts then nothing after that. Had a few nibbles here and there. Just wait till the water really warms up back there and the reds and specks are gonna go nuts. Used paddle tails and even a tandem rig for a few casts.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

I saw the same thing out there, Manny... Can't wait for it to heat up again!! Gotta eat sum meat....!!
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1392955432518.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392955432518.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 980 times
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Yak'Razy wrote:I saw the same thing out there, Manny... Can't wait for it to heat up again!! Gotta eat sum meat....!!
I'm already planning for Saturday night! Hope to catch my first kayak war points this weekend.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

I've never paddled around the lights at night. Do y'all have safety/navigation lights on your yak?
landman650

Post by landman650 »

I have a light i picked up from Fish and Tackle Unlimited...I think you HAVE to have one at night. But even if you didnt I sure as heck wouldnt be out there without one.

Kinda like riding my motorcycle at night.... you're just putting yourself at risk cause of so many people drinking on the roads.
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

I always thought you just had to have a 360 degree light but this says you have to have side-lights and a stern-night?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/bo ... uirements/

Scroll to bottom.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

RedsOnRiot wrote:I always thought you just had to have a 360 degree light but this says you have to have side-lights and a stern-night?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/bo ... uirements/

Scroll to bottom.
From what I understand only boats do need the bow/stern lights. Yaks don't. Many, including myself don't like to use those lights cuz it gives other boats on the water you are a fast vessel and can get out of their way fast, which you don't.

I just use a 360 light and a spot light to shine people in case they have not seen me.