Waiting on the ferry now omw to bolivar

kmurf91

Waiting on the ferry now omw to bolivar

Post by kmurf91 »

I'll post a report this afternoon. Skunked the last 4 short trips so doing a long trip today to kill the skunk streak . Or make it an all day grind for nothing lol either way not at work
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: Waiting on the ferry now omw to bolivar

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

someone posted a while back on another site that DHS was now running "check your rights at the door" points at the ferry. if you would, could you verify that if you experience this?
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

They've been doing that for years. You actually have the right to refuse the search, but they won't let you on the ferry. I know it's against our basic rights, but I really don't mind and sometimes volunteer because they send you to the head of the line after the search and I have nothing to hide. Besides, it really isn't a "search". They don't go through your stuff. They just look for obvious stuff.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Throttlehead250 »

Spectre5922 wrote:They've been doing that for years. You actually have the right to refuse the search, but they won't let you on the ferry. I know it's against our basic rights, but I really don't mind and sometimes volunteer because they send you to the head of the line after the search and I have nothing to hide. Besides, it really isn't a "search". They don't go through your stuff. They just look for obvious stuff.
I try to be searched because they put you at the front of the line. all they do is look under the hood, look under the truck with mirrors, and in your bed. its a far from thorough search and they dont mess around your cab or anything.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

“A more certain way to attack religion is by favor, by the comforts of life, by the hope of wealth; not by what reminds one of it, but by what makes one forget it; not by what makes one indignant, but by what makes men lukewarm, when other passions act on our souls, and those which religion inspires are silent. In the matter of changing religion, State favors are stronger than penalties.”
The Spirit of the Laws, Baron de Montesquieu (1748)

It applies with other aspects of life too. You are not just giving up your rights, you are also giving away everyone else's. I do not fly nor I take the ferry.

Give up your rights for a little comfort, to get in front of the line.

And, how many "terrists" have been caught at the ferry? Nothing but a dog and pony show to get the people used to it.

:evil:
falcon2

Post by falcon2 »

I totally agree Jaime.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

I do not do it to get to the front of the line. I do it to save a one hour drive. It takes me 45 minutes to get to Bolivar if there isn't much traffic at the ferry from my house. It takes almost two hours if I go the long way. Call it laziness if you will, but I am not willing to spend 4 hours driving to spend a day on the beach over there.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

JaimeInTexas wrote:“A more certain way to attack religion is by favor, by the comforts of life, by the hope of wealth; not by what reminds one of it, but by what makes one forget it; not by what makes one indignant, but by what makes men lukewarm, when other passions act on our souls, and those which religion inspires are silent. In the matter of changing religion, State favors are stronger than penalties.”

It applies with other aspects of life too. You are not just giving up your rights, you are also giving away everyone else's. I do not fly nor I take the ferry.

And, how many "terrists" have been caught at the ferry? Nothing but a dog and pony show to get the people used to it.

So dramatic. No one is "attacking you're religion" dude,,, If you do a little google search on how many potential "terrists" or "terrorists" that have threatened to bomb ferries, or how many ferries have been hijacked,,, you might change your tune. After 9/11 things have been a little different wouldn't you agree?
http://books.google.com/books?id=CfNlqN ... CDgQ6AEwBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ride.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OP where is the fishing report? How'd you do on Bolivar?
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

It's a double edged sword. Yes, our constitutional rights are being violated through search without probable cause, but they know that most people will submit to them to avoid the inconvenience of the long trip around the other way. I won't ever need to get to Bolivar bad enough to drive 2 hours to get there. I live 15 miles from Galveston and there is plenty of saltwater there..... And plenty of places between me and there. I have gotten rather apathetic in my old age and just don't care. Let them look in my truck. As soon as they go to open something, I will stop them though. A quick peek won't kill me, but an in depth search isn't happening.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

surfpunk wrote:
JaimeInTexas wrote:“A more certain way to attack religion is by favor, by the comforts of life, by the hope of wealth; not by what reminds one of it, but by what makes one forget it; not by what makes one indignant, but by what makes men lukewarm, when other passions act on our souls, and those which religion inspires are silent. In the matter of changing religion, State favors are stronger than penalties.”

So dramatic. No one is "attacking you're religion" dude,,, If you do a little google search on how many potential "terrists" or "terrorists" that have threatened to bomb ferries, or how many ferries have been hijacked,,, you might change your tune. After 9/11 things have been a little different wouldn't you agree?
http://books.google.com/books?id=CfNlqN ... CDgQ6AEwBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ride.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OP where is the fishing report? How'd you do on Bolivar?
this is what i wanted to say since i saw that post, but couldnt put the kind words together like you did lol. I agree with surf punk.
Stoic_J

Post by Stoic_J »

I haven't been out that way in years, but am getting back into bay fishing & hunting now. Wanted to take my family on a little drive to Rollover this month. :( I won't consent to a search, though, & it'd be a waste to go down there just to be refused passage.

Dadgum, one more place that's off limits.
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

Stoic_J wrote:I haven't been out that way in years, but am getting back into bay fishing & hunting now. Wanted to take my family on a little drive to Rollover this month. :( I won't consent to a search, though, & it'd be a waste to go down there just to be refused passage.

Why, are you hiding something? All you have to do(and this is even IF they pick you to search), is open your hood, and doors. Takes all of 30 seconds for them to glance at it and you get to go to the front of the line. I'm not totally opposed to searches. If it means I won't get blown up by a terrorist then search away.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I've been checked a few times, it's a pretty routine search that takes just a minute or two. One time I was getting searched a car load of terrorist types got waved through without a search and the homeland security folks are looking over my truck, it's just me a kayak and a bunch of fishing rods. I was pissed :twisted:
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

I've been searched nearly every trip across the ferry. Doesn't bother me a bit. Kill the engine, pop your hood, go to the front of the line, get off on the other side first. I have nothing to hide and if something that simple helps keep mine and others trip across safe then I'll never complain. There's just too many crazy people in the world to trust them all.

Now if they ever ask me to unbutton my pants while slipping on the rubber gloves I'll start taking the long way around. :shock:
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

And, my religion is?
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Coachsmills wrote: Now if they ever ask me to unbutton my pants while slipping on the rubber gloves I'll start taking the long way around. :shock:
Depends who's askin'. Might make me to ride the ferry a bunch.

From what I understand, they have a letter each day and if your license plate has it, you're in the check line. Been checked several times. It never bothers me, especially if it is crowded.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

I will paraphrase the Baron:

“A more certain way to attack freedom is by favor, by the comforts of life, by the hope of wealth; not by what reminds one of it, but by what makes one forget it; not by what makes one indignant, but by what makes men lukewarm, when other passions act on our souls, and those which freedom inspires are silent. In the matter of diminishing liberties, State favors are stronger than penalties.”

I do not have anything to hide -- I have my children's liberty to protect.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

EDIT: nvm im not gonna get started on this
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

what happened to the fishing trip?

“New Rule: Conspiracy theorists who are claiming that we didn't really kill Bin Laden must be reminded that they didn't think he did the crime in the first place. Come on, nutjobs, keep your bullshit straight: The towers were brought down in a controlled demolition by George W. Bush to distract attention from Hawaii, where CIA operatives were planting phony birth records so that a Kenyan named Barack Obama could someday rise to power and pretend to take out the guy we pretended took out the Towers. And I know that's true because I just got it in an e-mail from Trump.” Bill Maher
Stoic_J

Post by Stoic_J »

RedsOnRiot wrote:
Stoic_J wrote:I haven't been out that way in years, but am getting back into bay fishing & hunting now. Wanted to take my family on a little drive to Rollover this month. :( I won't consent to a search, though, & it'd be a waste to go down there just to be refused passage.

Why, are you hiding something? All you have to do(and this is even IF they pick you to search), is open your hood, and doors. Takes all of 30 seconds for them to glance at it and you get to go to the front of the line. I'm not totally opposed to searches. If it means I won't get blown up by a terrorist then search away.
We just have very different values is all. I'm almost 40 years old and I don't tell adults what I think they should believe.

I imagine I'll still find my way to Rollover this year, you and I just won't be taking the same path to get there.
fishin' soldier

Post by fishin' soldier »

Do any of yall work in any type of plant or facility?

I am a contractor so I get searched alot. They have a right to protect their assets and the people on/in their assets. You also have the right take the long way if you don't agree with it. Stop trying to push your beliefs on to other people. You are clearly in the minority here.

Whats a terrist? My phone even auto corrected it to "terrorist" lol
qbfisherman7

Post by qbfisherman7 »

Sorry for breaking up the "terrorist love-fest" but how was the fishing bolivar?
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

My last trip there yielded no fish, athough I am sure I saw a "terrorist" or two taking the long way with me on Hwy 124! :mrgreen:
mygreatscott

Post by mygreatscott »

IMO, the chemical companies has some influences in getting the searches started. Just for the possiability of shutting down the ship channel if an accident / attack were to happen it would be $$$ lost for them. They opened my glove box and didn't say a thing about my gun. Not aware of any bombs ever found? We are lucky the ferry cost $$$ to operate. God Bless the Texas Highway Department.
I need to do some more fishing, I get on the board and all I can write about is the dam ferry. lol