E. Matagorda report

SW wadefish

E. Matagorda report

Post by SW wadefish »

First time report post here, so hope it gives some insight to someone out there.

Fished East Matty on 2/15. Put in at Hog Island via beach acccess. Wind was ESE, 15 kts gusting to 20. Air temp 56* and water was 48* warming to 52* on the flat as the day progressed. Full late rising moon. Tide falling AM, coming back in PM. Got on the water around 8am with a solid plan to paddle to Cleveland reef before the wind picked up, drift back towards the opening of Hog and fish the guts around Hog. Well, the wind picked up before we got to Cleveland and there was an Oyster boat working it hard. Part 1 of plan, no go. (The GPS said we were going .8 -1.2 MPH into that mostly E wind.... HA!) Drifted back towards Hog Island and picked up a 23" trout and two keeper flounder in the gut along a nice color change. All soft plastics working SLOW.

Paddled back to shore and ran past a few undersized redfish along the west shoreline in the flat. Drove to 3 Mile. When we first arrived, birds working bait to the west headed to 3 Mile Lake, but no fish caught. Low water levels kept us from getting into bay. Full moon and wind had 3 mile fairly blown out.

Wintertime fishing....gotta love it. Great getting back on the water after these cold fronts though!
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Re: E. Matagorda report

Post by Pablo »

Nice report, thanks !
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I feel your pain, last time I went to matty there were 3 oyster boats within 1 mile of each other.
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

Two weekends ago, I had a plan with some buddies to drive the beach to Hog Island and camp, but we did not make it that far as beach was very soft. Opted for "Spring Bayou".

How was the drive along the beach?
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

"3 mile lake" = "spring bayou"

?
Erock

Post by Erock »

Nice report! Don't fish down there much but sounds like you made a good go at it.