Sun on the Bernard

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Sun on the Bernard

Post by karstopo »

I made it out to the mouth of the Bernard this afternoon. I met up with my good old friend Stuart, who had a rare afternoon off. It was a much appreciated day of warm sunshine and light winds.

The water in the ICW was pretty muddy. The river channel down towards the beach was clear. I threw a suspending plug and a paddle tail for a short time, but the winds were so light, I went with my 8wt BVK. I had a small clouser on, I think a 6, in white and natural, with some gold flash. I was really feeling it, making some of the best casts I have ever made. The smaller lighter flies are definitely easier to cast.

I was content casting and drifting slowly upstream. A little aluminum boat had anchored near the bend a few hundred yards up ahead and my drift was inching me in their direction. I was about to change my course when my fly stopped. Oh yeah, fish on. I think I was in about 4 feet of water. I'm still getting the feel of fish on a fly rod, but this felt like a good fish. The fish and the breeze carried me towards the little boat. I called out an apology for invading their space, but the sweet couple were okay about it and were enjoying watching me fight my fish. They asked me what I had and I said I didn't know until about that time the fish came to the surface. It was a trout, my first speck on a fly.

I never put the fish on the reel, another first for me, and enjoyed bringing it in working the fly line with my left hand and right index and middle fingers. It netted it, strung it, and shared it for dinner with Stu, my wife and I. The fish went about 22". I paddled downriver for a repeat drift. This time I picked up an 18" black drum, another first on a fly.

I had one more fish on briefly late in the day. We made it back as the sun was setting. The day was simply the best.
https://mobile.twitter.com/karstopo/sta ... 086912?p=v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Sun on the Bernard

Post by shoffer »

Nice job, David.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Nicely done dude!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

aggie182 wrote:Nicely done dude!
Aaron,
It was total blind casting. Tguff said that he had seen lots of very small baitfish in the area so I went with the smallest clouser in my box. I hadn't tried it before and found it was a pleasure to cast.

I used the BVK instead of the Axiom mainly because the BVK was rigged and ready to go and I was rushing to meet Stu out there.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The fish picture taken by Stu
Attachments
The fish without having to go to Twitter
The fish without having to go to Twitter
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Very nice
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Way to go! Thanks for sharing.
ichinforfishin

Post by ichinforfishin »

Awesome report! Very inspirational makes me want to get on the water. :clap:
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Very nice report and congrats! Nothing like catching saltwater fish on the fly in the winter!
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

karstopo, From the picture it looks like your in a Tarpon. Do you stand up in it to fly fish or cast sitting down? I've felt mine to be too unstable to stand in but that could just be me.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Dr,
That is my Commander. I do have a Tarpon, but never really gave it a chance as a stand up option.
When I use the fly rod I stand up most of the time. It is very stable. The sides have padding that helps in bracing and my feet fit nicely in the catamaran hull.

Being able to stand really helps in spotting fish.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Sometimes if the action is slow, I don't care if some one drifts close to me anchors up. I even invite others to come play as I just want to see some one catch a fish and give me hope.