Lower Brazos River Video

forager

Lower Brazos River Video

Post by forager »

I posted a report for our Brazos river trip in the freshwater forum a few days ago, but here's a little video report I put together. Still familiarizing myself with the video editing scene. I didn't get too much footage from the trip but enough to put this together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACsoc_x ... wMjswKdxJw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alanmacias541

Re: Lower Brazos River Video

Post by alanmacias541 »

what an awesome trip!!! Nice catfish especially the one y'all caught at night!!!! Nice to know that there is some decent catfishing near houston...were y'all using cut shad or stinkbait?
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

Nice video! I think I will do that stretch at some point. How did y'all setup your shuttle? Is it safe parking????
forager

Post by forager »

Thanks guys. All the catfish were caught on dip bait. We put out some live baits at night which we caught the small gar on (small mullet). We also had a larger palm sized baby carp we caught in a cast net that we put out as live bait and something BIG took it. My bait clicker on my small penn reel was screaming since I had the bail open. I let the fish run for around 15 seconds before I tightened down and felt something BIG on there....but he did a few strong violent headshakes and then was off. I honestly think it was a big gator gar probably around 5 ft long. I've caught big gator gar up to 180+ lbs in this stretch of the river so I know there out there and what they feel like. I was hoping the fish was a flathead though that's why I didn't wait as long as your suppose to for a gar to set the hook.

And as far as the shuttle. Luckily my parents didn't mind dropping us off and picking us up. I know at the turn-a-round your not allowed to park by the curb anymore...they will tow you. So we had to quickly unload everything at the launch spot. At 1462 there's a little public area down under the bridge. People come and fish by that area pretty often, and I've left my truck parked there throughout the day a few times while on the water and have never had any problems. That being said, there's no cameras and it is off the beaten path a ways so it wouldn't be too hard for a break in. I wouldn't want to leave my truck unattended there overnight.
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

Good Video Forager! Looks like yall had a blast!
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

And I'm assuming there were no problems from landowners?
forager

Post by forager »

yakinthebox wrote:And I'm assuming there were no problems from landowners?

Not at all, didn't see anyone else on the entire trip. After looking through the tpwd laws I think that as long as you stay on the sandbar and don't go close or above the high water mark/ridge on the river, your not trespassing.
BILLYP

Post by BILLYP »

I live in sugar land also and have been really wanting to get out for an adventure down the Brazos. Do you ever just do a day trip? If so, where would you recommend to get picked up? Did you put in under the bridge at the Brazos turnaround under hwy 59? Did you have any issues along the way? Any areas that were hard to pass?
forager

Post by forager »

BILLYP wrote:I live in sugar land also and have been really wanting to get out for an adventure down the Brazos. Do you ever just do a day trip? If so, where would you recommend to get picked up? Did you put in under the bridge at the Brazos turnaround under hwy 59? Did you have any issues along the way? Any areas that were hard to pass?

I may do a few day trips soon but will probably put in at rosharon opposed to the turnaround under 59 where we put in for this trip, cause you can't leave your vehicle unattended at the turnaround or you will get towed. There's no other launch spots, access is very limited....I've heard of a launch near a park in Sienna but will have to see it for myself first. No areas of the river were hard to pass, some areas were very shallow so we had to get out and walk the kayaks though.