trout in choco bay- what are they eating?

jdlander

trout in choco bay- what are they eating?

Post by jdlander »

I went for a quick trip last night to chocolate bay, found plenty of trout in about 5' of water over mud and shells. found them around 430pm and they were biting until I pulled out at 530. Most were right at 15'' and thrown back, kept a 16'' and very nice 20'', pic is attached.

When I got home and cleaned the fish I noticed that there was nothing in their stomachs- which leads me to ask, has anyone seen much bait in the galveston bay complex right now? if so, what are you seeing?
Attachments
house problems 009.jpg
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Re: trout in choco bay- what are they eating?

Post by vincent »

mainly fish...but most I've caught have been almost completely digested before they start feeding again...might be why you didn't find anything in their stomachs
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

vincent wrote:mainly fish...but most I've caught have been almost completely digested before they start feeding again...might be why you didn't find anything in their stomachs
I agree. I cleaned 8 trout this past Saturday and only found bait (partially digested Mullet) in one of them. All of the others had empty stomachs.
Finfisher2

Post by Finfisher2 »

Justin_Time wrote:
vincent wrote:mainly fish...but most I've caught have been almost completely digested before they start feeding again...might be why you didn't find anything in their stomachs
I agree. I cleaned 8 trout this past Saturday and only found bait (partially digested Mullet) in one of them. All of the others had empty stomachs.
Last Saturday? I didn't get the phone call :evil:
lol
Jason the Canuck

Post by Jason the Canuck »

Okay, I may get laughed off of TKF, but I have been told when trout feed hard, they end up breaking off or shedding their teeth, and may take a break from feeding due to a "sore" mouth. Well, if they aren't feeding, their stomaches would be empty.