Lake Athens - good / bad

MVRider

Lake Athens - good / bad

Post by MVRider »

Anyone been out on Lake Athens lately? It looks like great cover with natural growth but I've never fished it. Any suggestions on what to fish with, times to go and where to launch would be appreciated.
DIY

Re: Lake Athens - good / bad

Post by DIY »

Research it I'm sure something will pop up. Ill look into tomorrow or soonish for you. Once again try TFF.com so much better. Luck to you!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I am not familiar with the area but I do the same in principle on the coast. I love exploring new areas. You just never know what you will find.
WantToFish

Post by WantToFish »

MVRider wrote:Anyone been out on Lake Athens lately? It looks like great cover with natural growth but I've never fished it. Any suggestions on what to fish with, times to go and where to launch would be appreciated.
Did you go fish Lake Athens yet?
MVRider

Post by MVRider »

WantToFish wrote:
MVRider wrote:Anyone been out on Lake Athens lately? It looks like great cover with natural growth but I've never fished it. Any suggestions on what to fish with, times to go and where to launch would be appreciated.
Did you go fish Lake Athens yet?
I'm trying to get there one of these weekends coming up, might be this weekend. Trying to stay out of my wifes plans. hehe! Not always successful.
flyguy66

Post by flyguy66 »

2 ShareLunker LMB came out of Lake Athens this year out of 9 statewide (2 different anglers). Only other lake that produced more than 1 was Lake Fork, which had 3. Lake Athens is very small compared to Lake Fork. A ShareLunker has to be over 13 lbs. I rated Lake Athens pretty highly in my new book, Bucketmouth: Fly-Fishing for Trophy Bass.
MVRider

Post by MVRider »

Okay, final got out on Lake Athens this morning. It was very nice and I will be returning to fish more. I had a productive morning catching striped bass (12 or so), and a few large mouth. Nothing of great size but still fun. Water color and cover is prime for some lunkers, also want to do more top water fishing in the lilly pad cover.