Lake Texoma

LMDshadow

Lake Texoma

Post by LMDshadow »

I recently purchased my first kayak and took it out this last Saturday on Texoma. Had a blast even though the wind made things tough later in the morning. I'm looking to hook up with fellow yakers in the area to fish on Texoma and other lakes/ponds in and around the Grayson County area.
bassfinder78155

Re: Lake Texoma

Post by bassfinder78155 »

Hey i live in Sherman and i fish Pecan Grove (Dean Gilbert) a whole lot. Lots of big bass there, personal best 8.5 lbs. Lately been catching about one a trip. It hasnt really picked up like it was last year. Anyway also fish Baker Park would like to go out to texoma but not sure about this wind lately. Maybe we could get together and give the fish a hard time. Well have fun, good luck. Let me know when you decide to go to Texoma again hopefully my schedule will work out.
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

I fished Dean Gilbert lake a few times in the spring last year from the bank and did catch several good bass, but it slowed down quickly as word got out. Its a bit of ways to drag/carry a yak to get to the water there, so I haven't tried it in my yak yet. The wind seems to always be blowing on Texoma, but i'm finding that if I stay in and around the marinas, well as other "protected coves", its not too bad. The Lighthouse isn't too much of a drive and has a decent launch. The Little Mineral arm of the lake is somewhat protected and has some nice areas to catch bass and catfish both. I'm going to try to get out there this weekend sometime.
bassfinder78155

Well wish i could have gone out to the lake this weekend saturday was a nice day had to much to do. Anyway i have to work this weekend and next weekend have a family reunion so it may be a while till i can get out. If the wind is not to bad during the week will try to go out to the marinas not sure where the lighthouse is but will check for it. Let me know when you go out and good luck would like to get together and hit the lake. Really not sure where to go there.
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

Well, launched from the Lighthouse on Texoma this last Saturday afternoon. Due to the wind and waves, I stayed in the marina for the most part. Did catch a nice 5lbs. blue cat just inside the wave break on frozen shad. Overall a great time and can't wait to get out again!
bassfinder78155

Good job sounds like you had a good time. I too am waiting for the wind to die down hopefully get to the lake during the week
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

Took the yak out to Little Mineral Friday morning. Caught eight blues in 2 hours by drifting frozen shad across the wave break entrance to the marina including a nice 15 pounder. Had a great time!
Boomhawr

Post by Boomhawr »

well, I live not far out of Sherman. new to kayaking, but not to Texoma. I've spent most of my time there, over the years, on the other end of the lake, past 377 / Willis Bridge, on up toward Delaware Bend. was paddling john boats and a canoe, and liked that it has less boat traffic to dodge. Once I figure ot fishing from a yak, I plan on fishing Texoma and the river in it.
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

Awesome. We should meet up sometime for some yak fishing on the lake.
Boomhawr

Post by Boomhawr »

that would be great. just as soon as I'm healed up enough. I had surgery last week. but soon as I get back to it, it would be great to get out on the lake with new friends.