fishing in fall and winter

makoprowler13

fishing in fall and winter

Post by makoprowler13 »

I have not yet kayaked fish in the cooler months but have read some articles that have me interested so what would kind of gear would you recommend to stay dry and warm on the water?

Pro's/Con's of waders dry suites ect....
Yak'Razy

Re: fishing in fall and winter

Post by Yak'Razy »

Neoprene Waders for those really cold days... I've been out when its sub 60° and they have kept me very warm... I layer with some dry fit type long pants and shirt, then a fleece hoodie or pullover... And don't forget about a good buff and beanie.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Layering is important, especially in Texas where you can see temps swing 30 degrees through the day, so that you can remove/add layers depending on temperature.

I start with wool undies then add silk-weight base layer top and bottom. The next layer or two (depending on temp) are light-weight fleece tops and bottoms. My feet get a liner sock then a thick wool sock over that. All these are Cabelas brand mainly because I had a gift card, but everything I've purchased has held up for 4 years now and I'm very pleased with their performance. The main thing is to wear layers and avoid wearing cotton, wool and fleece are your friends.

My outer layer consist of lightweight, breathable waders. I prefer stockingfoot waders over waders with the attached boot because I can snugly lace up the boots which feels more sturdy and supportive. I bought waders and boots from Caddis Systems, but the Magellan Mag 2 from Academy are very popular. You can get away with just wading pants or hip waders if you plan on staying in your kayak. I use a packable, breathable, and windproof jacket from Columbia.

I also wear paddling gloves and a waterproof/windproof beanie.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I love fall and winter fishing, more so than summer. If it is sunny and not too windy, I just wear a fleece jacket and some shorts, pretty much what I would wear tooling around the yard in similar weather.

Cloudy weather below 55 or so, I'll take and wear my breathable Magellan waders just to block wind and paddle drip. I also take a hat to cover my ears.

If you stay dry, you don't need a crazy amount of clothes in our mild winters.

My experience with neoprene waders is that they trap sweat ultimately making one hot and sticky and later cold and uncomfortable.

If I get cold, I just paddle around for a while and that warms me up.

Honestly, I've gotten too hot in the winter more than I've been cold. Layer up based on your personal thermostat. If you fish like I tend to do, you will cover some water and will sweat in the effort. Wear clothing that lets the sweat evaporate rather than soak you and your clothes.
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

Fall and winter are my favorite times also. When it starts cooling off, like last Sunday (57 degrees at daylight in Sabine Pass) I wear a base layer under my regular quick dry fishing shirt and pants. The base layer I use are tight fitting stretchy things.( 65% nylon, 25%polyester, and 15% spandex). They wick moisture, dry quickly , and don't get uncomfortably warm as the temps rise. I tried my new frog tog waders Sunday and they were very satisfactory; light weight and kept me dry from feet to butt. Couldn't tell if they were "breathing" or not :lol: (BTW: these are still on sale on the frogtog website for $69.99, ordered my wife a pair after testing them Sunday). When it gets below 50 degrees I may still go back to my old neoprenes; they just seem warmer to me especially when sitting side-saddle. As for a jacket, I prefer a hoodie type sweatshirt regardless of what type of hat or layers I am using that day. When the wind is behind me that hood is nice.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

Neumie wrote:Layering is important, especially in Texas where you can see temps swing 30 degrees through the day, so that you can remove/add layers depending on temperature.

I start with wool undies then add silk-weight base layer top and bottom. The next layer or two (depending on temp) are light-weight fleece tops and bottoms. My feet get a liner sock then a thick wool sock over that. All these are Cabelas brand mainly because I had a gift card, but everything I've purchased has held up for 4 years now and I'm very pleased with their performance. The main thing is to wear layers and avoid wearing cotton, wool and fleece are your friends.

My outer layer consist of lightweight, breathable waders. I prefer stockingfoot waders over waders with the attached boot because I can snugly lace up the boots which feels more sturdy and supportive. I bought waders and boots from Caddis Systems, but the Magellan Mag 2 from Academy are very popular. You can get away with just wading pants or hip waders if you plan on staying in your kayak. I use a packable, breathable, and windproof jacket from Columbia.

I also wear paddling gloves and a waterproof/windproof beanie.
This^
gerARRGH

Post by gerARRGH »

Yeah I learned the hard way last Sunday at tcd.

I had breathable waders on with shorts underneath a compression shirt under my fishing shirt. I only lasted a few hours because I was freezing.
hatchman

Post by hatchman »

im knew to kayak fishing in cold weather. i think im going to try these paddling pants. as long as my feet stay dry im happy as can be.

http://www.rei.com/product/849522/kokat ... pants-mens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flyguy66

Post by flyguy66 »

Wet, cold feet or a cold head will make you lose core body heat faster than anything. Because you're paddling, your core temp should stay fine in the vast majority of TX "cold" weather. When it drops below about 55 degrees, you will probably want to give more consideration to layering. But my #1 recommendation is to wear some comfy pants (wader fleece, sweat pants, etc.) under breathable waders and boots with Merino wool socks. Add thermal underwear if needed. Keeping your feet warm and dry goes a looooong way! Then, the waders will keep you dry of paddle drip and function as a wind breaker sort of outer layer. Use the wader belt! If you go for an unexpected swim, it could make all the difference. Also, when wearing waders in a boat, you NEED to wear a PFD. Modern waders won't fill up and drag you under like the popular myth says they will, but they will make it quite difficult to swim. You'll wear yourself out about 5 times faster when swimming in waders. ie. if you can normally swim a mile, you'll be able to swim 1/5 of a mile. That's not very far!

My upper body tends to get hot when I'm paddling and fishing. So I dress lighter on the upper body and put a breathable waterproof shell over the waders...unless it's going to be TRULY cold. Keep your head warm with whatever type of warm hat suits you.

Also, if you can launch and land your boat without getting your feet wet, you can go with a water repellent warm-up suit as an outer layer. I find this option much cheaper than and just as effective as the kayak-specific water repellent pants and jackets. I bought an over-sized water and wind repellent jacket and pants at Kohl's not long ago for $20 for each piece. I can put this on over my normal clothes and it packs down to fit in a small dry bag. This gives me an option for fowl weather gear on those borderline days when you're just not sure if you need to layer up or not.

Finally, if you get cold enough that you start to shiver or stutter when you speak, QUIT. Take it to the launch! This is the first stage of hypothermia. Beyond this stage, your body core temp will drop so fast that you will become delirious/disoriented and your motor skills (coordination) will deteriorate RAPIDLY. Hypothermia kills a lot of folks every year, and is usually referred to as a cause of death as "exposure."

With all that said, kayak and canoe fishing in the winter is not dangerous if you are properly prepared and play safe. Especially, hybrid and white bass and crappie fishing are good in the colder months up in the shallow creek/river arms off the bigger lakes.

P.S. We get more morning fog on area lakes and rivers in the Fall and Winter in ETX. I've been doing this stuff all of my life, both for fun and for a living. I will NOT take a paddle craft out in fog unless there are ZERO power boats and PWC's (like on a pond or small lake where they aren't allowed or cannot go). The majority of kayak fishing fatalities I've known of over the years occur after sunset or in fog, and they're usually the result of being run over by power boats or PWC's. Noise travels further in fog than nav lights do. Two power boats have a much better chance of avoiding one another in the fog than a kayak does because of the noise and their higher and larger profiles. If you show up to the launch in the morning and it's really foggy, just wait an hour or two. It'll start to burn off. Then you can go. Have some breakfast. Visit the local tackle shop. Whatever. Just play it safe. You're at a HUGE disadvantage in the fog in power boat territory.