Decker Lake - Austin

bmonzingo

Decker Lake - Austin

Post by bmonzingo »

Has any one fished Decker lake on the east side of austin? If so how did you do, what were you catching them on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
KEEPITTIGHT

Re: Decker Lake - Austin

Post by KEEPITTIGHT »

bmonzingo wrote:Has any one fished Decker lake on the east side of austin? If so how did you do, what were you catching them on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Check out the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/thursda ... ref=SEARCH they have tournaments out there on Decker a few times during the summer. People seem to catch some nice fish on a variety of tackle. I believe they had 60 anglers show up this past Thursday. At $20 per angler its a decent pot. It's a competitive lake so no one is going to tell you their secrets. With that said, you can discover what works as well with a little time and research.
I know this doesn't answer your question directly because there is not a simple answer to what works. I recommend you take a variety of bass tackle and do a little research on navionics about the structure on the lake before you go. Head to a spot you like and if you have a depth finder look for fish, start throwing a bait that mimics something the fish may like for example: topwater, jerk baits, crank baits, spinners, soft plastics ( countless rigging options), and the occasional live action targets are what's generally in my arsenal. All of these options have caught fish, the trick is finding patterns and sticking with them. I can't promise you that they will work but if you know how to rig and fish the options listed above you might improve your chances a bit.
Sorry I couldn't explain exactly how and what to do but I hope this helps. Hit me up if you want to fish sometime
JRS

Re: Decker Lake - Austin

Post by JRS »

Went there one time (last summer). It was windy as hell and it was after series of heavy rainstorms so perhaps water was stirred up more than usual but I remember water was pretty murky. Even though I'm not a big fan of cooling plant lakes, the appearance of lake with lots of reeds and grass had me encouraged. However, and I'm not too proud to admit, I struck out inspite of throwing everything in every color at every depth at every retrieve. The wind was a huge factor. I've heard that there are big fish and people have great success but I think if I was to tolerate the madhouse around Austin and percievere the drive on the I-35 parking lot that I would be inclined to go to Ladybird.