Lady bird lake in the kayak

specialsits

Lady bird lake in the kayak

Post by specialsits »

Hi all. I'm going to be in Austin for the Thanksgiving holiday with my family and was thinking about bringing my kayak to fish Lady Bird Lake. Planning to launch below the I-35 bridge. Anyone care to share some decent spots to fish for bass? Not sure if I should head west towards Mopac or go down east. Would definitely appreciate any suggestions on spots or lures that seem to be working right now. Thanks in advance!
robjm09

Re: Lady bird lake in the kayak

Post by robjm09 »

I would also like some advice on this lake as well. Should be going out there Friday or Saturday, and it will be my first time out on that lake.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Make sure you guys post reports. I would love to make it over to that area soon, and would love to know more about the area. Thanks, and good luck!
specialsits

Post by specialsits »

I will definitely post a report of how it goes. Hopefully don't get skunked!
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Try red bud trail area right below the dam. Big bass hang around the dam (topwater, big swimbaits, crankbaits).
specialsits

Post by specialsits »

Ok spent the thanksgiving break fishing Lady Bird. Fished for a few hours each day for three days. Best action I had was on a crankbait that looked like a small bass (green/tan). Caught a ton of 1-3 pound bass on it. Had a bit of luck on a chartreuse jig but it was slow. Didn't get a single bite on any plastics I threw. As for location, most action was between Lamar and Mopac bridges. Had a monster bite under the 35 bridge but fish broke off (thought it was actually going to snap my ultra light rod). Anyway, it was a fun place to fish and I'll def be back!
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

specialsits wrote:Ok spent the thanksgiving break fishing Lady Bird. Fished for a few hours each day for three days. Best action I had was on a crankbait that looked like a small bass (green/tan). Caught a ton of 1-3 pound bass on it. Had a bit of luck on a chartreuse jig but it was slow. Didn't get a single bite on any plastics I threw. As for location, most action was between Lamar and Mopac bridges. Had a monster bite under the 35 bridge but fish broke off (thought it was actually going to snap my ultra light rod). Anyway, it was a fun place to fish and I'll def be back!

Congrats on the successful fishing trip :D I might try that spot in the near future :wink:
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Thanks for the report! I'll have to give it a try when I'm in the Austin area again!
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Give a shout when you'll be in town and maybe can get a posse to round up a big bass or 2