First freshwater trip - Lake Raven

mwatson71

First freshwater trip - Lake Raven

Post by mwatson71 »

I am normally a bay fisherman targeting trout and reds, but this weekend we went to Huntsville State Park with some friends and I hauled my T160 up to see if I could catch a bass or two. I launched on Saturday afternoon around 2p and started to paddle over to a little back cove. I threw the tandem speck rig that was already on my rod just to see if anything would hit it and on my third cast I hooked into about a 3.5 lb bass that I lost right at the side of the yak. Caught one more small fish on Saturday.

Fished a couple of hours on Sunday from about 6:30a to 11:30a and only managed one bite. I threw everything in my box at them - topwater, spinnerbaits, frog - and just the one bite on a spinner.

Fished again this morning and between 6:30a and 8:30, again throwing topwaters and spinners with no luck. Switched back to my speck rig around 8:30a, and before 9:00a I caught four decent sized bass, biggest probably around 3lbs., all on the speck rig, in shallow water up against the grass and trees.

I still prefer fishing the flats down in Galveston, but it was a pretty fun trip and a nice little lake that was very easy paddling. I will definitely go back.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: First freshwater trip - Lake Raven

Post by Forever Fishing »

Good report on a lake that can be very challenging to catch numbers. Beautiful place to paddle.

My guess is they don't see very many spec rigs. Great call.
wrongway22

Post by wrongway22 »

I have had the same situation fishing the 3 lakes around me that I fished recently. Lakes are flooded no easy access and than no fish
Unlimitedx

Post by Unlimitedx »

Last Thursday evening , 5:30 to 7:30, I went out to lake Raven had some good luck. 3-5 pound bass were hitting hard about 50 ft from the shoreline. Even hooked a good size crappie with a large bass spinner, nor sure how he got the hook in his mouth. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
texashog

Post by texashog »

I have had great success on raven casting a sinko (no weight) along the weeds.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Unlimitedx wrote:Even hooked a good size crappie with a large bass spinner, nor sure how he got the hook in his mouth.
It is not a crappie -- it is a redbreast sunfish (a shellcracker) or it's hybrid. That lake has a healthy population of good-sized shellcrackers.
army

Post by army »

It's not a Redbreast sunfish but rather a Red Ear sunfish. The Shell Cracker part is correct. I'm just being picky in a friendly way.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

army wrote:It's not a Redbreast sunfish but rather a Red Ear sunfish. The Shell Cracker part is correct. I'm just being picky in a friendly way.
Yes, you are correct. My bad -- no idea how I ended up with "redbreast" :-)