Crappie fishing

raruga

Crappie fishing

Post by raruga »

I understand crappie is running right now? Any tips for someone who wants to try it?
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Crappie fishing

Post by GetBent »

Structure live minnows and patience. Lots of it. Do you plan to use fish finder?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I had heard that a month ago that the crappie were biting up in northern part of Texas. Other than that, crappie usually run more around March/April. I would love to get into some crappie fishing. If anyone knows of any crappie activity, please hit me up and lets fish. Tight lines!! :)
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The upper end of Lake Somerville is my suggestion from 20 years of fishing there.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

texnomad wrote:The upper end of Lake Somerville is my suggestion from 20 years of fishing there.

You talking by the damn? I've heard that there are some spots at Somerville by the damn of which I have yet to fish. I've fished Yegua, the tires at Birch Creek, and Nails Creek for Crappie and have done well. Usually those spots I have fished are highly active around March/April.

A long time ago before Hurricane Alisha hit, Rocky Creek used to be on fire for crappie!! After the hurricane, all that ceased to exist. Rocky Creek hasn't been the same since. :(
salvadordaly

Post by salvadordaly »

March /April when the trees start to bud, that is when you start. Look for structure in mid to shallow water. Cane poll with a bobbing cork and a bead to adjust depth. Live minnows will let you know where the fish are. Drop a minnow in structure, if it dances and swims around frantically, that's the spot! If the minnow does not dance, check the next spot 3-4' away, and move on accordingly. Grew up crappie fishing on the San Jacinto river and Lake Houston area. Good times! Look in the shallow sloughs along the lake or river. They are spawning and nesting in the cover.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The Upper end is where water enters, Lower end is where water exits.