Offshore Kayak Bass Fishing

gssterl

Offshore Kayak Bass Fishing

Post by gssterl »

also available on my blog: http://catchmeifyoupaddle.blogspot.com/ ... shing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will admit that for the vast majority of my time fishing from kayaks I have concentrated all of my efforts near the shoreline. Sky high temperatures in Central Texas and a lack of bites where I normally fish have pushed me away from the bank and in search of underwater structure.

Two things that you will need to make this transition are a marker buoy and either an contour lake map or an app such as navionics for your fish finder or mobile device. I am running navionics on my iPad in conjunction with my vexilar sonarphone fishfinder. With the iPad GPS and the navionics app I know exactly where I am at and where I am in relation to the underwater structure that I am wanting to fish. Couple that with the marker buoy serving as a casting target and you have a perfect combination for fishing structure.

By no means did I invent this method. Pro Bass Fisherman have been using it for years, but I have rarely seen kayak anglers employing this method out on the water or in videos. It was something that I was reluctant to try, but after success on my first outing trying this method, I will be sure to use it a lot more. Check out the video to see how it works.

cricman

Re: Offshore Kayak Bass Fishing

Post by cricman »

There is nothing like finding a good drop off, a extended point, or hump and working it over with a Carolina Rig, or Deep Diving Crankbait and catching good fish. After the spawn and the post-spawn recovery feed, it seems like the better numbers of big bass move out to their summer homes to follow the schools of baitfish.

cricman
gssterl

Post by gssterl »

cricman wrote:There is nothing like finding a good drop off, a extended point, or hump and working it over with a Carolina Rig, or Deep Diving Crankbait and catching good fish. After the spawn and the post-spawn recovery feed, it seems like the better numbers of big bass move out to their summer homes to follow the schools of baitfish.

cricman
Agreed!
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

a trolling motor or a long anchor line is a great help offshore, too. Set up facing into any current to improve your chances as well. Sometimes you will find good structure like rock piles, old roadbeds, culverts, foundations, brush piles, or stumps in 10 to 20ft of water that no one else has fished.
gssterl

Post by gssterl »

TKFStubb wrote:a trolling motor or a long anchor line is a great help offshore, too. Set up facing into any current to improve your chances as well. Sometimes you will find good structure like rock piles, old roadbeds, culverts, foundations, brush piles, or stumps in 10 to 20ft of water that no one else has fished.

Absolutely. I as using a torqeedo 403 holding my position with nose into the wind. Worked great.