Which kayak?

Jaycar85

Which kayak?

Post by Jaycar85 »

Looked in the search bar couldn't find my answer, if their was a thread addressing the question please let me know. I fish 100% in rivers little to no fast moving water. I am looking for a nimble stand up kayak. Think I have it down to coosa, predator mx and lure 11.5. Does any one know which one is most stable when standing. I like the lure but the reviews are not as good as the other two. I feel the coosa is the best bet with quality but please correct me if I am wrong. Also does any one shine over the others?? Thanks in advance
crusher

Re: Which kayak?

Post by crusher »

If you don't try them all at a demo day or a rental of each one, you will never know which is best for you. There are fans of all of them. There is no single best "most stable" kayak. Add the Wilderness Ride to your list, possibly.

ACK and FTU both have demo days - check them out.
christian

Post by christian »

Also add santa cruz raptors to the list. It paddles faster than those mentioned above. Standing is a cinch.
RedRaiderNate

Post by RedRaiderNate »

I'll weigh in. I agree that paddling all of them is your best bet, but is sometimes easier said than done.

I bought the Feel Free Lure 11.5 back at Christmas. It's my first kayak purchase. I was given and O.K. Caper 11 but never used it. I fish the Upper Guadalupe and like you, wanted a boat that I could stand in. I am not very familiar with those other boats, but looked at pics for the sake of this reply.

I'm not convinced the Feel Free isn't the most quality boat out of those three. The padded deck area is great. The seat on the Feel Free is second to none and being able to sit flush or elevated 10" is really nice. I can sit side saddle in the elevated position no problem. Standing that way is more difficult. The guy at ACK said the front hatch is the best design he's seen. I really like the molded handles and i know some don't like the wheel in the keel but I have found it most useful when unloading the kayak from the bed of my truck. I don't use it much otherwise, but it's proven really useful there. The center console looks more well designed on the Feel Free and now it has the sonar pod which looks cool (my boat doesn't have that :( ). I don't see that either of the other boats have any tracks for accessories either. The rod holders and leashes also come standard on the Feel Free.

I realize I sound really biased and I probably am, but the Feel Free is also the cheapest of the 3 boats from what I can see. You can take that extra $ and add some accessories. All I've added is a anchor trolley and the rudder. Not convinced the rudder is necessary though. I do like the looks of that rear hatch on the Coosa and the option to put a motor there, with the battery contained in that rear hatch, but I'm not sure I'll ever put a motor on my boat. Good luck!
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I can second the FF Lure. I've got one, and it just feels like a really well made boat. It is very stable for standing, and the adjustable seat is really nice.
CamoCuda

Post by CamoCuda »

Check out Bass Pro shops Ascend kayak - friend got one & it's great.
IMHO it is by far the best value. Wide, stable & great seat.

I have a Jackson Cuda 12 & love it, bought it before BPS came out with their updated Ascend's otherwise I'm sure I would have spent 1/2 the money instead of getting the Jackson.

+2 on getting out & paddling some - each have their pros & cons

Also, standing IMHO is overrated, the seats are elevated & so comfortable.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I think all the kayaks listed above are good boats but like others have said it comes down to personal preference. Like you the majority of my fishing is river bass fishing so I'll share some of my experience. I currently have a Jackson Cuda 12 and love it. Its a great all around kayak but depending on your size it might not be the best for standing. I'm a small guy and consider myself fairly athletic so fishing from a standing position on my Cuda is a breeze but I could see standing being a issue for a larger person. I personally prefer a yak that is stable but still has good speed and the Cuda fits that bill for me.

The only kayak you listed that I have experience with is the lure 11.5. A buddy let me burrow his for a trip before I decided on the Cuda. Its a great boat at a great price. I considered buying one but for me it ended up being to wide. The width gives it great stability but makes it a barge to paddle. If your strictly doing float trips with minimum paddling then it would be a great choice.

The new Coosa HD looks sweet but I haven't paddled one so I can't vouch for it. I would also suggest looking into the Ride 115 and the Diablo Amigo as they both fit your needs well. Like everyone else has said try as many yaks as you can and decide from there.
I hope this helps and good luck on your search.
Jaycar85

Post by Jaycar85 »

well poo :evil: though i had it all figured out was going to go with the old town mx but i looked at the cuds 12 and it looks well rounded over all. its easy to stand n the cuds 12? i would say I'm in good shape
C130

Post by C130 »

My son has a Coosa HD and I love it, plan on buying myself one. I bought a Big Tuna for when my wife goes out but much prefer the Coosa HD if I'm by myself. It's very stable, feels more stable than the Big Tuna for sure. I'm about 6'1" and 215. I haven't paddled the others that were mentioned but love the Coosa HD and all its features. Locally, we've just done lakes but in Tennessee we did rivers and my son reay liked it.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

For me it is but like I said I'm not very big and in good shape. If your in good shape then you shouldn't have a problem. It definitely won't be as stable as other yaks listed but it also isn't a barge to paddle. I'd definitely add the Cuda to your list but like said many times before try before you buy.