Anyone Using Lews Am. Hero/Speed Stick or St. Croix Mojo?

ben_beyer

Anyone Using Lews Am. Hero/Speed Stick or St. Croix Mojo?

Post by ben_beyer »

So I used to fish a whole lot more when I was younger than I do now. I also now live in a part of Texas where lakes are pretty much non-existent whereas growing up Whitney, Aquilla, Tradinghouse, and Navarro Mills were just down the road. Most of my gear that I bought back then was a Shimano reel and a Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade or Extreme rod. I think they're still pretty good rods but I have a couple that need to be replace. One rod is missing a guide, another broke on my last kayaking trip, and another has a crack in the glass around a guide. I've been looking alternative choices to try something new and I'm interested in what people have to say about the Lew's rods, specifically the American Hero and Speed Stick series and also the St. Croix Mojo Bass rods.

All 3 are in my price range which of course the American Hero is on the lower end which is a plus. I don't get to fish as much as I would like so value is important too.
smokedcuda

Re: Anyone Using Lews Am. Hero/Speed Stick or St. Croix Mojo?

Post by smokedcuda »

Well I cant say much about the mojo bass, but I do have the mojo inshore rod. I would assume its just the mojo bass on steroids. This is a 15-30 pound braid rod. I put a Lexa 300 on it, and I like the rod/reel combo alot. Its fantastic when Im on the ground or on a power boat deck. I find this super stiff rod a bit fatiguing from my kayak, casting 100's of times with a 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz lure for reds. And with the really stiff rod and heavier braid (30 lb power pro), I think this rod just needs a bit more weight to throw than the 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz lures and jig heads I am using in the marsh. Its really way too big for Marsh fishing I do but I bring it to have a third rod available. When Im working the surf and throwing 1oz or heavier lures its like a damn rocket launcher, cast for days, with a crap ton of backbone and horsing power. The longer butt section is nice when your jerking on a super spook or other top water across the surf zone. You can put it under your arm and up against your rib cage to help fight forearm fatigue. No issues with fatigue while standing and can get my body into the cast. But it does tend to wear me out from the kayak when I sitting down for sure. So again sorry its not on the mojo bass, but considering the same materials and builder, I would assume its just a softer, lighter rig. If thats the case I think it would be great for pulling bass out of thick cover and should serve well with a nice low profile reel.