Whites on Conroe

wetnhungry

Whites on Conroe

Post by wetnhungry »

My son and I went last week right after the front that came in before this last one. Got a few chunky whites and a nice hybrid.
Attachments
fish2.JPG
fish1.JPG
Cityfisher

Re: Whites on Conroe

Post by Cityfisher »

Sweet! I'm going stir crazy waiting on some decent weekend weather!
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Excellent. Did you find them trolling spoons? We saw some guys doing pretty well last week, hybrids are big so far.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

El Gato Diablo wrote:Excellent. Did you find them trolling spoons? We saw some guys doing pretty well last week, hybrids are big so far.
No trolling, just casting, mostly spinners.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Good job! luv white bass fishin. Nice striper too.
Pic is from several weeks ago on the Nueces.
Attachments
P2150134.JPG
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

castin4fish wrote:Good job! luv white bass fishin. Nice striper too.
Pic is from several weeks ago on the Nueces.
Nice haul. I'm chompin to get back out there when the weather warms a little. These fronts have been screwing up the fishing.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Where is a safe place to park your vehicle and launch on Conroe?
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

richg99 wrote:Where is a safe place to park your vehicle and launch on Conroe?
I've not heard of any problems anywhere, but you always take a chance when leaving your vehicle. We have launched at Stubblefield (free) several times with no problems. It always looks sketchy and I always worry a little, but so far so good. Cagle should be good, but I'm not sure how much it costs. I know of one guy on here that bass fishes pretty hard on Conroe and parks in random places along different roadways, but not sure exactly where. Personally, I'd probably not park randomly along roadways near the national forest. Any of the improved marinas more south will be fine.
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

^^^
Agree, any of the marinas are pretty safe. Don't leave anything in clear site. Avoid parking in isolated areas, the meth heads are out there.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Rich, you got me thinking. I have lived in close proximity to Lake Conroe forever and fished all over it during my bass boat days. However, much development has occurred since then and boat traffic has increased exponentially. Since I started kayaking, I've stayed on the north end and up the river for what little time I've spent on the lake.

I would be interested in hearing from others who have ventured into the main lake areas for black bass fishing. I'd like to get some ideas about methods/strategies for kayak bass fishing on a large lake. Actual fishing techniques do not change, but the whole approach is totally different when sitting in a kayak. I remember reading a post on here a few years ago about how a kayaker would fish the boat docks on the main lake. I guess if one is careful about timing, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I am able to take off during the week, which might help. It would be nice to take advantage of such a close body of water with good bass fishing.

Anyone care to share? Maybe there are some previous posts/links that have covered the topic? Haven't looked.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I've always wanted to learn Conroe better. In 35 years of fishing around here, I've caught fewer fish per hour there than most any place else.

If you (or anyone) wants to go during the week...when the weather is better...let me know.

richg99
El Gato Diablo

Whites on Conroe

Post by El Gato Diablo »

I fish with side and main lake frequently. Docks are a good target, it's either on or off. You will know pretty soon, green worms weedless to back wall under docks.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

The biggest problem with Lake Conroe is access and launch points. There are some public back county roads in the forest areas but finding fish up there is very hit or miss especially in a kayak. There are a few access points like Scotts Ridge, Cagle and other places mentioned above but I've found you have to cover a lot of water and it's tough to do that effectively with all the boat traffic and distance (open water) in a kayak. For instance how would you propose kayaks get to the 1097 bridge (one of the better known fishing areas)? Doable form Scotts Ridge but a pretty long trip in your kayak.

I have in-laws that live on the south west side of Lake Conroe. I've been fishing that area from yak and skiff for years. If I really want to stretch a line I'll hook a live perch through the tail and throw him pretty much anywhere and catch some real beautiful cat fish. During the winter at night if you can paddle to lights you can crank and find some nice hybrids around docks and marinas. Those are lot's of fun to catch but it's not easy finding lights on the yak in an area that you can launch and paddle to easily.

My main target species is LMB, sometimes I'll catch 10 or so but most times 2-3 and usually nothing at all. It's just not that great of a LMB lake anymore. I'll target back bays, various structure (docks, rip rap, bushes, creek channels) and sometimes you can find them schooling. Typical baits include top water, senkos and various Texas rigged worms.

Lake Conroe North of 1097 is such a beautiful place and fun to paddle and a great place to camp and play with the family. It's not the best bass or crappie lake since the grass carp ate all the hydrilla but it's still a very fine cat fish lake. I would love to see public kayak only launch points mandated in places like Bent Water, Walden, Clear Water Point, Del Lagro and even Cape Conroe. Ha.. like that's ever going to happen. :)

That's my take hope it helps.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Good info FF, thanks. Yeah, I think you run into the same problems trying to bass fish on any big lake. Although, there are some lakes better suited for kayaks, it is still a challenge to cover a larger area to put together any type of pattern. Back I the day, the river authority would flood Sam Rayburn in late winter/early spring to ensure an ample water supply for the summer. I guess they still do. The flooded woods provided awesome bass fishing, but maneuverability could be challenging in a full sized bass boat. I often think about heading over there with my kayak during that time of year (now).

I really love the saltwater, I am just too far away to do it regularly. I just poke around in the freshwater rivers and less congested bodies of water.
jrussell72

Post by jrussell72 »

I fish Conroe regularly and I would have to say it can be a tough lake to fish. I have brothers that fish tournaments that often have a hard time finding a pattern and they have bass boats. If you are targeting LMB spring time is the best. Cagle, Stowaway Marina, and Stubblefield are my go to spots to put in. The 830 public boat ramp is good to but a lot of traffic and people just hanging out(which makes me nervous leaving my truck there). These spots offer a variety of habitat/structure to fish from stumps and logs to deep water and shallow water. There is also riprap,submerged points and boat docks. I often fish with a fly rod, which has been said to be the greatest way to preserve the bass population, but I still catch a couple every time I go out in the spring. Now for summer and fall that's a whole different story. I would like to learn how to target the whites and hybrids...