Del Rio/ Devil's River

hunterlee5587

Del Rio/ Devil's River

Post by hunterlee5587 »

I know I know there may be a Devil's River thread but I can not find it.

I am greatly interested in doing some camping/yakin' on the Devil. I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on where to launch, experience yakin' this river before etc. Planning to go sometime this year, with my chaotic schedule there is no way I could narrow it down to a month, it's just something I want to do this year.

Anyone have any suggestions or pointers?
Moondog94

Re: Del Rio/ Devil's River

Post by Moondog94 »

The devils river is an amazing fishery and is one of the most sought after spot for kayak anglers in Texas. Sadly I have not been able to make a trip due to school work, but my best advice is to talk to a guide since they know the ins and outs. The hardest part is scheduling a drop off and pick up, which is where guides have the most experience. So I would search the internet for guides that know the water, I know one in particular if you need some suggestions.

Hope this helps,
-Moondog
onelastcast03

Post by onelastcast03 »

Here's a good video from Robert Fields trip which I've seen several times; good work. Devil's river trip is defiantly on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6zPiTWEio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iFish

Post by iFish »

This site may give you some useful information:

http://www.southwestpaddler.com/docs/riogrande9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

The Devils is an amazing trip, but really challenging logistically.

First you will need a Shuttle Driver and a Permit. Here is the info:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/devils-river" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a first time trip, I would suggest putting in at Del Norte and taking out at Big Satan. Plan at least 2 nights on the river. 3 is better if you want to focus on fishing.

You will be camping on rock islands, so be sure to pack appropriately. There is a good amount of info on the TKF Forum, or feel free to PM me for more details.

Be sure to be well prepared for the trip. Know the laws of the land and don't trespass. Also, know that the Devil's is far far far from anywhere, so it is not a trip you want to be in trouble on. Help is a long way away. Be sure to be prepared with the proper gear!
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

Thanks for all the input. The trip appears to be on hold for this year, it seems. Although I will be enjoying my angling hobby in other rivers and waters.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am at Seminole Canyon SP again as I type this. Running the Devils or Pecos is not on my agenda due to physical inabilities. However let me guarantee you that running the river is great from what I have heard from lots of folks. However I can also guarantee you that putting your yak in at Rough Canyon and day fishing is also fantastic. The nearby to here Pecos River launch is readily available for day use for yaks. It is not necessary to set aside several days for a river trip to really enjoy this area. A weekend will get you lots of fun. Many folks do not realize that huge chunks of the Devils River is accessible from Rough Canyon launch. The little restaurant at Rough Canyon also fixes a very good pizza.
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

I would hate to make the 10+ hour drive just to fish for 2 days and not an adventure of a lifetime. lol

Thank you for the advice about rough canyon.